Avalanche near Revelstoke

chelle

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is with all this hostility dircted at Newstips? Sure, the media sucks, and most of what you read in the paper or see on TV news is either sensationalism, government propaganda, or some kind of commercial promotion, and it is always full of errors. But what the hell is wrong with Newstips or anyone else asking a climbing-related question here on cc.com? If we were more willing to talk to the media, we might be able to get our message accross about such issues as the real cost of rescue operations vs. searches for lost children in Mount Raininer National Park.

We're all here asking the same questions and wondering the same things. Who are the victims? Where are they from? How did the accident occur?

Does anyone have any concrete answers to these questions?

How about good Web links? tvforbc.com?

---

Whether you know it or not, you are engaging in a form of self-published news media yourselves by posting on this board.

Matt Does have a good point... Yeah media sucks and sways For the leftist or Rightist... But when media gets the story right thats what we want right. For example, Jhamaker, if it wasn't for the media no one would of known he was over due thus people on this site would not of come together to help James if he was in trouble. And in the future... it comes down to... you pat my back I pat your back.

Because most of you have been very kind to me in my information request, I wanted to let you know that the latest information from the Royal Canadian Mounted Police is that 21 skiers (who were high country skiers rather than heliskiers) in two separate groups being guided by Selkirk Mountain Experience were caught in an avalanche. 11 of those skiers were buried either partially or completely and 7 of them were killed. 4 of those skiers were Canadian, the other 3 were from California and Colorado. The remaining 4 skiers were rescued and were taken to Queen Victoria hospital.

It is not clear if the guides are included in the tally of the 21 skiers.

Thanks to all of you for your feedback.

Edited by NEWSTIPS

Ehmmic, ther is a b.c. hut near the Durrand Glacier called the Durrand Glacier Chalet. Unless your friends said that this was where they were going it was not them. There are several huts simlar to this near Nelson (which is nearly a 10 hour drive away from revelstoke). However, as an example of another media misrepresentation of b.c. skiing, the victims were not heli-skiing. This hut, like most others in the South Columbias is merely accessed via helicopter. Once you arrive, you ski for a week on your own.

You can drive from Nelson to Revelstoke via Highway 23 in approx. 2 hours, more if you have to wait an hour for shelter bay ferry.... you can drive Vancouver to Banff in 10 hours.... saying Nelson to Stoke is 10 hrs makes me think you got it confused with somewhere else, e Rock!!

Dru, maybe I am confused. We used to do a yearly pilgremage from SLC to Nelson that takes about 14 hours by car. One year we went to Roger's instead and driving nonstop it took nearly 24 hours, and that included a wait in Galena Bay for the ferry. That's where I got my 10 hours from. I'm sure it's probably less, but I really doubt that you can do the drive from Nelson to Revelstoke in 2 hours during the winter. If you can, than I've missed out on some fun in Roger's Pass for no reason on more than one occasion.

I just realized I am confused. We stopped and toured around Whitewater for the day on our way to Revelstoke on that trip. So it takes ten hours if you want to ski at Whitewater before continuing on, which is what you SHOULD do if you're heading that way anyway.

Edited by E-rock

We're trying to track down people who knew him. We've got a crew enroute to talk to the Baker folks now. This is hitting the "brotherhood" pretty hard. Just wanted locals who might have known him to know. These are the sorts of stories I hate covering. They're never good. Its impossible to pay tribute to "legends" like Kelly that do them justice.