Should Dru Move To Baffin Island

Dru

Should Dru Move To Baffin?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Should Dru Move To Baffin?

Dru has been offered a well paying job based out of Iqaluit on Baffin Island. His current job will end in March 2003, and he has had some interest from more local employers but not offers yet. He is worried about the lack of other local climbers on Baffin Island.

Your chance to vote!

Vote early, vote often wink.gif

NB: Iqaluit isa "dry town", you can order drinks in the restaurant/bar, but you cant buy beer and take it home with you bigdrink.giffrown.gif

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

what about the "dru should do what is best for dru" option? and we will love him suport him and visit him often if need be wink.gif

dude take the job if you need it. nothing says just because you go there you have to satay there forever. Who knows what could happen. It's all about the adventure laugh.gif

I can't even decide what to wear today frown.gif everyone should have a good job... but if you think it will suck to be away from all the people you are used to don't go... relationships are important... but then you could meet some interesting people there. fruit.giffruit.giffruit.gif THE VOICES THE VOICES HELP wink.gifevils3d.gif

I've often said that I think I could live just about anywhere -- even Jackson Mississippi -- if I had a job that I liked and even a small group of friends that I liked. Without both, you'll probably be unhappy there but if the job is cool and you think there will be enough of a community that you can relate to, you should at least consider it. Mr. K is right that you'll almost certainly climb less but there are other things in life and you won't have to stay forever, will you?

On the plus side, it would be a memorable experience (good or bad, memorable either way), you're young(ish), and from what is apparent on this board, unattached. How long is the commitment? One year could be easy, three could be difficult. Can you talk to anyone else who has lived there? I'm assuming like most of Baffin it is a native village. I'm not at all familiar with the bands up there, but down in the states different tribes have a pretty wide range of response to (white) outsiders. We have a number of friends and persistent connections from my wife's seven years working at the Nisqually Tribe, but a friend who taught on the Navajo Rez for a year never once saw the inside of anyone's hogan. Come to think of it, maybe time is the critical issue, because I don't know that Faith's first year (as Tribal Librarian) was that replete with social invitation.

Hey OW it is the capital of the Eastern Arctic... a town of 5000 people... there would be 70 people in the regional office Id be working in, mostly imported professionals from the rest of Canada, avarage age of the office is 29....

The ONLY real issue here is whether this job is cool enough that it is worthwhile accepting drastically reduced climbing time for. Sounds like at least 5 months of the year it is too cold to have much fun outside, and the rest of the time i might be hurting for partners, theres only a few people in town who have ever tied in before, according to a local guide outfitter i talked to.

BUT on the plus side there are unclimbed 2000 foot walls less than 40 km from town, a quick snowmobile commute in the spring.... and aside from climbing it sounds like a pretty cool and friendly place - albeit with a lot less culture in the form of urban amenities, than Vancouver has. But if i Compare it to volunteering with Drs Without Borders, or similar activities I was contemplating - the pay is better, they speak the language, no tropical diseases, no one will shoot me, and I get to see a rad part of the world it would otherwise be very expensive to visit.

So HMMMMMM I still gotta think this one over. confused.gif

I t sound like an totaly fun adventure. even if you just go over this spring and summer. And if you were considering being away any way... why not take the job???? Climbing is not going any where. Granted I get that prime hard man climbing can be limited by physical issues... but dru, there are many men on this bbs that are older and climb like mad smile.gif

besides if you are making such good money you can fly a partner in if it comes to that.

Did you go there for the interview??? winter months will be challenging, but it could also allow you to step out side what you are used to and learn some new things.

BUT on the plus side there are unclimbed 2000 foot walls less than 40 km from town, a quick snowmobile commute in the spring.... and aside from climbing it sounds like a pretty cool and friendly place

2000 foot walls 40 km from Iqaluit? Really? News to me.

BTW, why don't you just visit the place. Return fare of $1000 from Yellowknife.

Yeah they are willing to fly me up there for a visit but I'd rather not waste their money if Im leaning towards not going for it.

President's Seat & Knife Edge Mountain rise directly from Frobisher Bay SW of Iqaluit to elevations of ~650m. I assume that means there are some steep faces or walls on the ocean side of things. For all I know it's choss, though.

Flights to Pangnirtung from Iqaluit are reasonable (like a couple hundred dollars) if you want steep ice and rock and plenty of it. First Air used to have flights to Greenland from Iqaluit, but I think they've been discontinued.

How long is the contract? If it's just a year, or two, go for it. Is there work-related travel to other communities?

go and check it out. It wont hurt anything even if you decide not to go. You might hate it but you might love it to. You wont know until you are there.

As much As I would hate for you to not beable to join for fun at smith and the such, life is a messy amazing adventure. Who knows what you would find up there wink.gif