Ongoing login issues...

CascadeClimber

I suspect that one of the issues causing the severe drop-off in participation here is the pain in the ass login problem that I've been having for several years now. Here's how it goes:

1. Login on main screen.

2. Click on forum (i.e. Climbing Partners).

3. Arrive in that forum logged out. Cannot post.

4. Lather, rinse, repeat until sick of it and go elsewhere.

The only way I can work around it is to login, go to my messages (am then logged out again), login on that screen (the "You are not logged in" screen).

Then the login sticks for a couple days.

Drives me batshit crazy and most of the time it's not worth screwing around to make it work.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not a big help but IE is not a good browser. CC has been one of the most reliable "keep me logged in for years" sites around. Try chrome or firefox?

I'm an IT consultant. I use IE for *everything* I do, except Facebook, which lives sandboxed in Firefox.

And this is the only site where I have issues with login persistence. Didn't used to be that way until about two years ago. I do use the MVPS hosts file, but have been doing so for longer than I've had the login issues.

eeep.. I know IE is corporate browser (yes it is the base one that many of our applications are developed to run on) but my lord the performance, especially previous iterations for years (8, 9, 10) was absolutely terrible compared to alternatives, at least among IT I work with it has been a punching bag/joke for years.

Does this problem persist on other platforms (your phone? ipad?). When you say it persisted between systems, were you doing an image restore or some form of backup or truly from a ground-up and fresh OS install the problem persisted? Seems you can isolate pretty easily to your machine. Give it a go in Chrome on your machine and if it continues you can figure it is something at a deeper level, otherwise you've further isolated to IE.

Chrome appears to run faster because it starts when the computer starts and just sits there waiting to be used, sucking up system resources. So it only appears to be much faster. The only routine function for which I have to use something other than IE is uploading audio files to an open source VoIP phone system, and that's because the open source community goes out of its way to submarine IE. But whatever. Login persistence isn't a browser function, it's a matter of setting a cookie.

And yes, it's across PCs with clean installs. In fact, it's two laptops with a total of three clean installs.

All I wanted to point out is that I'm having issues and I'm likely not the only one. Coincidentally, since I posted this it hasn't happened, not even once. This after I quite literally couldn't switch between forums the day I posted without it happening.

And yes, it's across PCs with clean installs. In fact, it's two laptops with a total of three clean installs.

All I wanted to point out is that I'm having issues and I'm likely not the only one. Coincidentally, since I posted this it hasn't happened, not even once. This after I quite literally couldn't switch between forums the day I posted without it happening.

PEBCAK

PEBCAK

It's PEBKAC dumbass: Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair. So you might double check between which chair and keyboard lies a problem- it appears to be yours.

Anyway, all I was trying to do was point out a possible contributing factor to the plummeting participation here. Consider the messenger shot. Continue on as you were.

Well I don't know that that is the cause of flagging contributions here...you're the only person I have heard report the issue. So definitely an issue in your case it sounds like! That sounds pretty weird though that it is persistent to you.

I'm actually at a loss as to what to do for you, as you sound like you are technically competent, so likely you've tried all the usual fixes (cookies, etc). I mean...you probably don't think that we are going to instruct you to delete your thingamajig and doohickey and things will work. It may be something with your account? I don't know what else to try but create another account and see if it also has the problem?

Honestly these forums need to be upgraded to modern board software. We've been planning on doing it for some time, but for a number of factors (but probably most recently just life changes and time limitations) it hasn't happened.

It is still in the plans, but as to when I won't commit to anything as it involves Jon and his life is pretty hectic these days.

My browser stays signed in so long I need to reset the password whenever it kicks me out after guessing at all the usual suspects.

I occasionally get other random errors which make the site unavailable but I just come back another day and everything is working fine...