Juneau Area Climbing ?

tivoli_mike

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike,

Climbing in Juneau can be a bit of a pain. We do have a gym which helps out a lot. "Out the road" there are a few bolted routes that are short and easy. We have some great ice when it is in. There are a few areas that have some potential to be decent rock routes, but a southeast bushwack is a big deterent for most. Our biggest problem is our weather, rain rain rain.

However, if you are into alpine climbing there is some great stuff to be had. The local hiking peaks are a blast to shoot up in the winter, and they can definitely get you prepared for bigger badder things. Example, a few weekends ago the girlfriend and I got pummelled by 133 mph winds while trying to hike up to a mountainside cabin. Check out this site http://www.rockclimbing.com/links/index.php?PID=115

look at Alaska's Mountain Magazine and Rain, Heavy at Times. The Mendenhall towers are roughly 500-650 meters of fantastic granite. There are a number of towers all over the Juneau ice field. Plus if you have access to a boat there are a number of huge granite walls coming straight out of the ocean to the south of Juneau.

So climbing in Juneau boils down to being ready and able to go when the weather/conditions are good. There is tons of unclimbed stuff all over the area. If you have any questions just ask.

Cheers,

Ben

• 2 weeks later...

The Juneau to Skagway road was voted down the last time it was on the ballot, but we have a new governer who is determined to pave, drill, mine, and log everything in this state. He seems to think that if we build a road people will want to drive 20 hours from Anchorage to have a chat with their representatives. But nobody mentions who will pay to maintain the road since it goes through 20 or 30 major avalanche paths. As much as I would like to get out of Juneau from time to time...such as now when we have no snow or ice, I think that a road to Skagway is a really silly idea. fruit.gif