Ingram Flats - Winter camp?

Captain Crunch

Looking at possibly camping at Ingram Flats in Mid-Feb. I know it is a common camp in summer, but not sure about conditions in winter (namely avi hazard) I know there is a steep slope above the camp in the Ingram Glacier between Gib rock and the Cleaver. However, I recall that there is a good section of 'levelish' terrain between the slope and the camp. Anyone have beta on whether or not the camp is far enough from the slope to be (generally) safe should something come off the slope.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My opinion (having come down the Ingraham and DC quite a few times), including Jan, Feb, and March: There is no place in the Flats that I would call 100% safe in winter, except maybe very close to Cadaver Gap. There are places that are more safe than others- away from Cathedral Rock and away from the more active north side of the Ingraham Icefall. But as you can see from the photo below, the area is often strewn with debris.

I think Gib Ledges is a much better winter route. It's less prone to avalanche, it's more direct, and it doesn't collect wind-blown snow like the Ingraham Direct does. The ID is a decent descent route (especially on skis), but I've never ascended that way.

The Ingraham in January 2014:

IngrahamAvy.jpg