Cascade River Road

Dahlquist

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good question. I do not have an answer/ But from past experience, you may be able to drive up to somewhere around the HIddenLake turn off, if you have all these things you might not use; saw, patience & maybe chains but definitely high clearance. I don't reckon anyone can get past the 1700' bit a few miles down the road at this time of year without a snow machine. But then again, what do I know? not so much. If you can, then you'll gain quite a few miles on the downhill.

Go, if you don't go, you won't know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Should I bring chains, a chainsaw, or both?
Yes. When I was very keen on winter climbing up Cascade River Road I brought chains, a chainsaw, a come-a-long, etc. Not getting back in there would not be terrible, getting stuck 18 miles in would ruin your day.

Last season I got stuck about 19 miles down the road because of a fallen tree. I was lucky enough to have a recently retired climbing rope that I was able to attach to my Subaru and pull the tree out of the way with. Definitely bring a chainsaw up there.

Us metrosexuals with 'baru's toss one of these manual chainsaws in the storage space. Actually, ever since I saw that 4' diameter tree fall across the road (on the way in fortunately), I have 2. http://www.amazon.com/Chainmate-CM-36SSP-36-Inch-Survival-Pocket/dp/B002EDAUO2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1454617767&sr=8-2&keywords=manual+chainsaw

It will cut through a 1' diameter tree (softwood) in a few min. Take your time to get it started and then chips starts flying. Best of all, there's no gas all over your vehicle and as it's lightweight it means that you can pack it in on your trail to the wall and clean up the recent blow down as well. There's a few models, I've been doing the Chainmate. Less likely to have a tweaker put a hole in your window to get it too like they would a motorized chainsaw if you left it and hiked in someplace.

41O7ftG7k1L.jpg