East coast ice - early April???

OlegV

I will be visiting East Cost during the last week of March. I am wondering if ice climbing in New Hampshire/Adirondack is going to happen that late into the season. I am thinking trying Black Dike in NH and Adirondacks ice. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Black Dike is usually out sometime in March. If it turns out to be a cold rest of the winter, it might be climbable at the end of March. If you try it in above-freezing temperatures be prepared for microwave-to-car-sized blocks to fall on you on the approach and during the climb; in other words, don't do it if it's warm out. I have been to Cannon twice around the end of March/first week of April, and both times we saw huge rockfall in the Black Dike/Whitney G area.

Can't say much about the Adirondacks.

The Black Dike is usually out sometime in March. If it turns out to be a cold rest of the winter, it might be climbable at the end of March. If you try it in above-freezing temperatures be prepared for microwave-to-car-sized blocks to fall on you on the approach and during the climb; in other words, don't do it if it's warm out. I have been to Cannon twice around the end of March/first week of April, and both times we saw huge rockfall in the Black Dike/Whitney G area.

Can't say much about the Adirondacks.

Thanks for the info! Late March is a transitional time with not too many options for outside activities.

I've climbed ice in the Dacks (Keene Valley) and Catskills (Platte Clove and Stoney Clove) into the first week of April, but those were unusually cold years. I wouldn't be too optimistic, but there is a chance that the shorter ice routes in Chapel Pond Canyon may still around in late March.

The weather is weird this year on the East Coast so anything could happen.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

some sick climbs were in shape the last few days, big ol ice smears up to nasty dry tool finishes,

we did one that was fun, up to the finish of pinnacle buttress rock climb, but dang, down climbing spotted a couple more that would have been all-time!

but it looks like its the official end to ice season on mt. washington, as of tomorrow.