Free Range Equipment: product line advice.

keep_it_real

Hey I posted something similar over on Mountain Project and got a ton of good advice so I'd thought I'd see what y'all have to offer. First, the story:

My name is Tosch Roy, I'm a 25 year old college dropout (hear me out here), born and raised in Bend, OR. After two years grinding through a mechanical engineering degree in Bozeman, MT at MSU, I called it quits to start working on what is now Free Range Equipment. We design and manufacture sport-specific backpacks for light and fast adventure in the mountains. Made in-house in Bend.

The first pack I made was for a skimo race in Bozeman called Skin to Win at Bridger Bowl. I didn't feel like spending the money to buy a race specific pack so I made a trip to Joann's and stitched together an admittedly sketchy looking but I was stoked on it. I should have just thrown down the $100 for a race pack seeing as my entire life savings now looks like a room full of sewing machines.

Though the first pack was built for a skimo race, the mission behind the business really came from the summer of 2010 and 2011, particularly this trip I posted on Cascade Climbers here: Five Peak Traverse. I wanted something simple and straightforward but purpose built for the sport, as well as the way I participated in the sport. I was using an adequately simple and light pack but it lacked the specific features for a light and fast (and long) ski day out in the mountains.

So I'm posting this partly for your awareness (there are packs being made in your backyard!). And partly to ask for your help. First, I've received a ton of community support, especially in Bend, and would be nowhere without that help, but it's still going to take another leap to make this a sustainable business. Check out the line here: Free Range Equipment. And let me know what you think. The line is short and sweet but it's taken a heck of a lot of work. I'd also like to know what else you'd want to see in a US manufactured line of backpacks geared towards light and fast adventure.

Cheers! Tosch.

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic