Complete set 'Mountain Review' magazine GONE!!!

Don_Serl

Cleaning out the basement, I'm giving away all my old climbing magazine back issues... except for these!

Between Mar/Apr 1993 and July /Aug 1994, this short-lived British magazine attempted to do what Alpinist did a decade later in the USA: provide glossy, in-depth, high quality coverage of mountains, people, and issues. It was edited by Ed Douglas, also known for editing The Alpine Journal, and the author of 'Tenzing: Hero of Everest', amongst other works.

As well as excellent coverage of new routing in the Alps and Himalayas plus elsewhere, plus the 'usual' inclusions of gear and book reviews, etc, Mtn Rev published 'big' articles, well researched, well written, and well illustrated.

Issue 1 looks at Everest.

Issue 2 focuses on the Grand Pilier d'Angle, Patagonia, and the Wendenstock.

Issue 3 profiles Fred Beckey and Chamonix.

Issue 4 delves deep into Russia.

Issue 5 explores Cerro Kishtwar and Poles in the Himalaya.

Issue 6 digs into Scotland and Yosemite.

Issue 7 features Glen Coe, the Caucasas, Tomo Cesen, and Erhard Loretan.

Issue 8 looks at K2 and the Antarctic.

Issue 9 includes Cerro Torre, Sweden, and Shiprock.

...and then it was gone!

All copies are in excellent condition. Issues were generally 90 or 82 pages.

The per issue price 'back in the day' was US $4.95. The same seems more than fair for what are now undoubtedly quite rare 'collectables', so US$ 45. You pay postage, about 5 lbs shipping weight.

24420782905_29fc213036_c.jpgMountain Review complete set by Don Serl, on Flickr

Edited by Don_Serl
  • Like 1

Seeing those bring back memories. I hope you flipped through the pages on last time.

Mtn Review started right after Mountain went away. Seems like those of us with a subscription to Mountain with issues left got it put towards a subscription to Mtn. Review. The UK rags were always better than the US rags.

• 8 years later...

MAN! I've been looking for these. Thought it might have been "On The Edge" magazine, because there's so little info on them. I had them all, too, and gave them away in a huge box of tons of magazine back issues when I moved into my van in 1995.

I'd love to get these issues again!

7 hours ago, Steve McGee said:

MAN! I've been looking for these. Thought it might have been "On The Edge" magazine, because there's so little info on them. I had them all, too, and gave them away in a huge box of tons of magazine back issues when I moved into my van in 1995.

I'd love to get these issues again!

4 hours ago, JasonG said:

And you still can @Steve McGeehttps://www.chesslerbooks.com/item/10797-mountain-review-magazine-back-issues-4-8-1993-1994.asp

I just ordered a couple, thanks for bumping this!

I don't know if this helps but I have ordered a few out of print magz from these guys. The person I emailed with (belive its only one person) is a awsome person and made good on everything. Even if it was out of stock he notified me when he found one! Hope this helps and glad to see you both having lots of fun this winter season!

https://www.topworldbooks.com/index.aspx

• Like 1

On 1/29/2024 at 5:28 PM, JasonG said:

And you still can @Steve McGeehttps://www.chesslerbooks.com/item/10797-mountain-review-magazine-back-issues-4-8-1993-1994.asp

I just ordered a couple, thanks for bumping this!

Thanks for the tip! Unfortunately they didn't have issue 2 about the Christmas ascent of Pillar d'Angle, which is mostly what I was looking for.