Scarpa Weisshorn sz 45

Don_Serl

Somehow I missed posting these when i did my clean-out a month or so ago... so here they are now:

They don't build boots like this any more! Hefty leather and high rands ensure waterproofness and warmth. The full shank makes this the stiffest boot I have seen in 35 years of climbing ( stiffer than a Nepal Top, which was the standard back when I bought these). That was exactly what I was after for precise footwork on rock and perfect control of crampons on ice. Despite that, somehow Scarpa figured out how to combine the lasting and sole curvature so that long (even multi-day) approaches and descents are tolerable. Top grain leather lining is far more durable than modern synthetics. Of course, the penalty for all the 'structure' is weight, and these 45's check out at about 2.8kg vs a Scarpa Manta of the same size at about 2.1 kg. Sole edges are rounded, but there is a lot of life left before a re-soling would be necessary.

24124016470_8781a8ca38_c.jpg20151067 by Don Serl, on Flickr

24419631755_154d755065_c.jpg20151071 - Copy by Don Serl, on Flickr

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic