What should be allowed in a "route report" discuss

mattp

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with the "keep TRs free of spray notion." Mattp deserves a beer for his actions as moderator. bigdrink.gif I hate the bloody TR spray on this site yet many times I feel sprays pull esp politcal spray. (Guess I need to work harder!) Besides the goofiness of TR spray it is a real pain to look something up via search and find pages of spray to wade thru.

PP

New Years Resolution: I will Spray No More Forever!

Matt is effortlessly cool.

Spray is fun in spray.

Spray is a nuisance in route reports and ruins a route reports thread once it starts accumulating.

Nobody (except Matt) should take this personally at all, it's just no fun to read through a route reports thread and suddenly run into a long string of name-calling posts with zero content. One or two posts is OK but what's with everybody always having to have the last word?

An additional concern is that it is so much more difficult to search through threads from previous years when threads can't live for more than a few pages before going bad. If somebody searches for Chair next year then they'll find a bunch of threads from this year where one would probably be nicer.

Speaking for myself I would not use this or any other site for information about a particular climb or area. I like to talk to people in person, if that is not possible I use a guide book and caution.

For another 2 cents leave spray be as it is. It actually serves a function. STRESS relief from living near a metro area.

As for climbing board and others go ahead and alter them as you wish.

Edited by sisu_suomi

"Route Reports" should be focused on actual outings, or things like conditions or the history of a route, or what kind of gear is needed for a particular climb; if you want to digress into an argument over somebody's character or something unrelated to climbing, and particularly if that digression is going to continue for more than a post or two, take it to another section of the board.

[Once I had decided that I thought the thread needed to be moderated somehow,] I had to decide whether to simply shut it down, which would prevent any further exchange of information, or just to remove a couple of posts and allow the discussion to continue. In this context, removal seemed to me less obtrusive than shutting it down but the downside was that this might be seen as targeting a specific poster or two.

I would like to note that out of 108 replies on this thread, less than 25 of them are oriented even obliquely toward a response to my request for feedback. In light of the fact that so many of you complain so loudly whenever anything is moderated on this board, and other's of you complain about the spray, I am sure more of you have some thoughts on this.

In light of the fact that so many of you complain so loudly whenever anything is moderated on this board, and other's of you complain about the spray, I am sure more of you have some thoughts on this.

That's because some might not really beleive that any type of response is going to do more than - go in one ear gain spead and shoot out the other. Well considering you think so much you miss the points sometimes.

BTW I prefer to use the word censorshit. (Sp??) confused.gif

I would like to note that out of 108 replies on this thread, less than 25 of them are oriented even obliquely toward a response to my request for feedback. In light of the fact that so many of you complain so loudly whenever anything is moderated on this board, and other's of you complain about the spray, I am sure more of you have some thoughts on this.

I would like to note that counting the numbers of posts in a thread is only slightly less geekified than acting as censor-happy "moderator".

Considering that the content on any BB comes from the posters, why would a "moderator" want to trim content even if it was flame and spray? And why would a "moderator" want to waste their time doing so?

If you are going to be cops then do it right. Otherwise it's half steppin bs.

That's my point, Ray: what do you think would be "doing it right?" Freeclimb suggests there should be no moderating of any kind. Do you think there is room for any moderating on any portion of this board, and if there is, how might it be "done right?"

Thoughts on moderation in general:

The current practice of resisting moderating until it's so bad you just can't stand it, is not going to be uniform. "So bad you just can't stand it" is going to vary from day to day and from subject to subject. This type of moderation is inevitably going to lead to people bitching about unfair (non-uniform) moderation.

Posters ought to understand this, as should moderators.

I think the practice of just deleting single posts has a great chance to be abused and an even better chance of being wrongly interpreted. However, it's the best way to "purify" a thread and not lose all the information. If moderators are going to do this, I think it would be fair to at least let the poster subject to deletion have their say about the deletion, within that thread. Limits of decorum within that reply up to the discretion of the moderator.

So far I think the moderating has been handled pretty well. Mattp's letting us in on his thought processes which led to editing stuff, and is setting up a forum for everone who has problems with it to bitch. He's giving you a hint about his limits and is entertaining feedback. This kicks ass on the other moderators who just tell you to basically f*ck off and find someplace else to play. (though that is entirely in their perogative, and it's not like I could do shit about it anyway)

I hope further deletions will similarly be explained somehow.

Ray-

Do you mean that if I am going to clean up a route report, it should be all or nothing?

I understand that some (including you) think that I did not draw the line correctly on Friday, but I am trying to figure out how there might be some flexibility here -- and I think that one or two posts off track, or even four short posts off track are OK, but if it looks like it is going to deterioriate to a whole page of B.S. that is unrelated to the route being discussed, and particularly if that includes calling each other asseyes and buttnuggets, it is time to step in.

One of the best acts of moderation on this board that I have seen was performed by Matt Perkins, Esq. When a serious thread started to descend into a Dante's Inferno of spray all he said was, "this is ____, take it to spray." In that simple post he reminded me of the original thread's intent. Nothing was deleted; people who delete shit suck.