Year Long World Mountaineering Tour

Matt Lemke

I've been thinking recently, and this is something I really want to do but cannot find anyone who can get the time to do this. I am looking for someone to do a full year long mountaineering tour of the world, starting around new years 2017 (exactly 1 year from now) and lasting throughout 2017 and likely into part of 2018. Ideally I could find one person who would like to travel the world for a full year, rather than just plan dozens of shorter trips with a bunch of people. The main thing we would focus on is mountaineering fairly big mountains and obscure peaks that pose distinct challenges varying from altitude, remoteness, technical difficulty, and climate. Other interests would include big rock climbing routes up to 5.10 and long treks. I am realizing more and more each day that I only have one life to live and there is no point wasting it away working every waking day with only a few weeks off each year.

Obviously, anyone interested would need to be somewhat prepared with a decent chunk of cash but I want to do this bad enough I am more than willing to help financing a potential partner for this trip (I will be working a good job all this year).

Below is a possible generic route but it can really be changed. I would like to follow summer so we don't have to worry about staying in too many hostels and motels and just camp everywhere we go.

The likely route would have us start in south america from jan-march visiting mainly Chile and Argentina for a few months, then in April head north and go to Ecuador/Colombia for a month. Then from may through June head to Europe and hit the alps and dolomites and other nearby areas in mainland Europe for a couple months. In July we would go to Norway and Sweden for some rugged Scandinavian mountain climbing, then spend some time in iceland. August we could then head back west to Alberta and BC for climbing in the Canadian coast ranges and Canadian Rockies. In September we can spend in the US working on climbs I haven't done in WA, and MT.

From that point on, we would head to Australia and new Zealand for a few months to climb in the southern alps.

If you're serious about this feel free to reply. Ideally you'd be just as crazy about mountain climbing as me!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I'm on vacation mid March to mid April, willing to fly anywhere in the world.

Mainly interested in high(er) altitude stuff at the moment, with a few elements of somewhat moderate skiing, ice and alpine climbing included.

Have been to 7000m, more than 10 years of climbing.

Well, I'm on vacation mid March to mid April, willing to fly anywhere in the world.

Mainly interested in high(er) altitude stuff at the moment, with a few elements of somewhat moderate skiing, ice and alpine climbing included.

Have been to 7000m, more than 10 years of climbing.

This March-April or March-April 2017? I am planning this trip for 2017

• 4 weeks later...

If you end of piecing together partners, I am thinking about doing a longer trip next year after dusting off the gear this year. (I've been on a force break for a year.) I have a few things in mind in those regions. I've always wanted to try French Direct on Almpamayo, Mittellegi Ridge on the Eiger. I've been to Chamonix once, but it was early winter season so Mittellegi was nowhere near in condition. We were lucky to pull off Aiguille du Chardonnet and Matterhorn (only 4 people on the mountain...that part was awesome - short day was not) but not much else would be interested in going back and looking into other stuff. Unfortunately I don't ski.