New Climber needs some shoe help

Mike Durrant

Wife allowed me to cross off bucket list item: climb Mt. Hood. It will be a guided trip, but need help with climbing boots. I have done minimal research and have fallen for the Lowa Mountain Expert Gtx Evo. The price point is $395. I wondering if there are better shoes for a rookie and if there is a place I can get a better price point.

All help is greatly appreciated.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had good luck finding deals on Salewas... while they've become a bit more common in the states since I got them ~3 years ago, I believe the sentiment that they're trying to price themselves into the US market is perhaps still the case. I think you get more boot/$ still...

these have gotten me up Baker and Rainier:

http://www.backcountry.com/salewa-raven-combi-gtx-boot-mens

If buying new the general rule is to try on all you can and then pick the best one that suits your needs. Most would be better off with summer boots for their first boots for summer mountaineering. One could go to several stores in Seattle try all the boots and then select, find out the return policy before buying. Buying online is more likely to leave u with poor fitting boots.

Why don't you just rent a pair of plastic boots for the climb?

Excellent advice if you're just trying out the sport! Actually everything above is helpful. Once you decide you love it, then plunk down money on new boots.

Plus you will benefit from getting clearer on the specifics of what type of climbing you will be doing most - volcanoes, winter/summer, high elevation, rock scrambling..?