Rappell fatality at Red Rock

Eric T

http://www.fox5vegas.com/story/30833071/hiker-injured-in-fall-at-red-rock-canyon

The young man was from Spokane. I don't know the exact details of this accident other than it was rappel related and on solar slab. My sincerest condolences to his family.

The NW climbing community hasn't had the best track record with rappelling over the last few years.

Let's make a collective climbing community New Years resolution to have a accident free 2016 with all safe rappels.

Please ensure both ropes are through your device and always sit your raps before removing yourself from the anchor.

Stay alert, stay alive and don't commit rapicide.

Blake Herrington wrote an excellent article on this site about rap safety.

http://cascadeclimbers.com/local-deaths-can-inspire-safer-rappels/

Edited by Eric T

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"Please ensure both ropes are through your device and always sit your raps before removing yourself from the anchor."

I am adamant about this and have been surprised when many folks I've climbed with were not accustomed to this double check.

It only takes a moment folks.

Safe climbing and descending mountain friends and family. :)

"always sit your raps before removing yourself from the anchor" bears repeating...repeating...repeating

also, back in the 80s & 90s, AMGA self-rescue protocol included tieing in to the ends or rappel ropes before rappeling. guarantees the system is closed. I've not seen this practice anywhere else, but I still do it when I rappel first, and I do encourage it.