Grivel North Machine Carbon?

DPS

Has anyone gotten their rookers on a pair of Grivel North Machine Carbon? They look incredible. I've been cycling through ice tools trying to find a pair of leash less tools for alpine and waterfalls, currently using Quarks but I am not particularly happy with the weight (too light in head) and the hammer is not especially useful.

The Grivel NMC is about the same weight, but I am curious if more of the weight would be in the head because of the carbon shafts. Also the hammers look like they are more prominent so they may drive pitons better.

Would love to hear any feedback from folks who have used or at least handled these tools.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ready to swap me for the Cobras yet? :)

My hope is that the Grivel North Machine Carbon has the beautiful, natural swing that the Cobra does while fixing all the things that suck about it (useless hammer and adze, shitty pick).

If I can at least get my hands on a pair of the new Grivels or read a solid review, I will be selling my Quarks and getting the North Machine Carbons.

Your hope is correct, i was able to use them this weekend at the Bozeman ice fest and felt that they were very similar to the quantum techs with greater clearance for bulgy ice and slightly more weight in the head. The swing felt very natural being that most of the weight is in the head and the tool requires very little momentum to get good sticks (think Nomic with pick weights). The hammer does seem to be more useful, but i didn't place any pins so i can't speak from experience.

Grivel picks are absolutely the best in the industry....the saying "twight proof" comes to mind. Grivel picks also come detuned for mixed climbing so they require less initial modification than conventional picks from BD and petzl. As a side note, BD picks are know to break when torqued hard into cracks.....

If I had total freedom of choice on my gear (i.e. unlimited funds) I would only trust my life to petzl and grivel, at least when it comes to crampons and tools. http://coldthistle.blogspot.com/2013/02/grivel-crampons-respect-is-due.html

Customer service will be top notch with grivel and petzl too.....BD may replace your gear but the problem will likely be pushed under the rug.