• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
Lucas Fritz

[TR] Chair Peak - North East Buttress 11/28/2015

Trip: Chair Peak - North East Buttress

Date: 11/28/2015

Trip Report:

Thrilling time on Chair Peak! Perfect 18th birthday climb with a good friend. The early season conditions made the route fun and and committing especially being new to ice and mixed climbing.

Pitch one "the S shaped couloir" was great climbing, mostly mixed with neve in the middle.

IMG_03092.jpg

The next section before the buttress steepens we climbed in two pitches. The first was well protected. The second a offered a good cam placement 10' feet from the anchor and for the next 50 meters didn't put a piece in. Not enough snow for pickets yet.

The crux pitch looked like great ice right up the middle but we opted left because we don't have screws. I slung an ice pillar close to the belay and similarly to the last pitch climbed with no pro until the tree belay. Always exhilarating.

IMG_03242.jpg

IMG_03294.jpg

The rest of the route was quite mellow. Night caught us on our descent but was worth it for the stars.

Overall a great climb!

IMG_03065.jpg

Lucas Weyand

Matias Francis

Gear Notes:

Cams from .3 to 1 (used)

Wired Nuts (unused)

Two pins (unused)

All the anchors belay anchors are pre-exhisting.

Approach Notes:

Noticed a layer a surface hoar on top layer which could lead to some instability with the incoming weather.

I looked at this from afar whilst hiking up Snoqualmie with my dog on Saturday and thought, "Hmmmm, I wonder if that would go?" ... I guess so.

Good on you, nice work my friend.