Devil's Kitchen v2

iain

Inspired by the previous cc.com crew heading to the DKHW, a friend and I set out Friday at 3:00am to climb Devil's Kitchen 1c (in oregon high) hoping the recent storm had filled in the bare spots that kept the previous group out. We went over to the gulley and found too much bare rock at the start, so we went back left and made up a route through a bunch of gulleys to gain "1c" again just above the bare spots. Below is a picture shred took on his trip, and I modified it w/o his permission, sorry Pat hope that's okay.

mod.jpg

The gulley variation we used took really good screws, good solid water ice, but unfortunately this was at constrictions were crap rained down on us as pro was placed and cleaned. Otherwise we used pickets. We had to traverse far right above as the sun was hitting the pinnacles above, knocking down large chunks of rime on the main line. This put us up on a pinnacle looking down on the upper parts of Wy'East. It took a fairly sketchy unprotected traverse on loose cobbles and slush/mud to get down onto snow. The traverse over to this cobbley stuff was on mashed potatoes with some stimulating exposure. The summit was windless and calm. The start of 1c variation would be very nice indeed if iced up. Will head back to try some other variations up there, but we need some more snow and it needs to cool down! Was up on some avalanche training the rest of the weekend and it's like May up there! The frick'n bergschrund is back.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

how were the crowds this weekend?

what sadness frown.gif climbing partner moves away and i get stuck at some shitty conference when the weather's fucking beautiful! this is the last time i attempt to take on some sort of serious professional responsibilty on a weekend i'm not sure will be shitty a week in advance

how were the crowds this weekend?

well there was no one climbing our "route". We had the summit to ourselves, but as we were heading down a band of mazamas was heading up to pick up gear from the snow cave of their compatriots from the previous weekend.

as we were heading down a band of mazamas was heading up to pick up gear from the snow cave of their compatriots from the previous weekend.

what'd they stash their weed so they wouldn't be all shitfaced in front of their rescuers?

I think it was an ice axe and some other stuff. The cave was totally buried though and we had to direct them over to its location. I'd be surprised if they find the gear. Probably will have to wait for it to melt out (which should be like, oh, 2 days until there's no snow on hood again?) madgo_ron.gif

Nice climb Iain -- a very cool line. I saw you guys up there Friday. I was taking a friend from South Africa up the SS for his first time on Hood. What a beatiful day. I kept telling him how lucky he was to get such conditions on his one and only attempt. Thought we'd meet up with you on the summit but we must have just missed you. We enjoyed the windless summit for almost an hour before heading down and running into those Mazama masses at the Hogsback.

Anyway, I've got a couple pics of you guys on the lower part of the route. I can e-mail them if you'd like. I'd add em to the post but am technically challenged confused.gif.