Plus ça change...

KaskadskyjKozak

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know. I know. i'm guilty of pontificating from an ivory tower.

like having the argument whether truman should have dropped the bomb or not. it did arguably save a lot of American servicemen's lives, while taking the lives of so many innocent.

the hateful habit of "total war" was rampant in bloody-red man long before the industrial age offered us so many spectacularly more awesome means of expressing it :)

historical debates are necessarily silly, but should you be interested in sussing out the morality of the a-bombing of japan, it's worth considering that:

a) american bombers killed far more japanese civilians, and in just as gruesome fashion, through conventional aerial bombings in the months leading up to august, 1945

and

b) the vivid demonstration of the awful impact of atomic weapons on civilian targets at the very end of the 2nd world war might well have so sobered the combatants of the follow on cold war that they luckily choose not to use them rashly and thus commence a thoroughly retarded 3rd world war

i think of the dead of hiroshima and nagasaki as a species of martyr, who's senseless murder may have well spared the world many, many millions more such deaths (at least so far)

everyone in the world should have to watch "white light, black rain" once a year for the rest of their lives

I screen White Light, Black Rain at least twice a year, as I have every year since it came out. Utterly devastating every time, deeply affects all who have seen it.

i show it to my military history class every year at the start of the first semester to try to make the kids take the subject seriously - can't speak for them but sweet-jeebus at the half-way pt i'm always done :noway:

There are plenty of old people in Japan that hate America.

makes sense - my ww2 vet grandpa was the most racist man regarding the damn dirty japs that i've ever met :)

encouraging to see the follow on generations could chill the fuck out, no?

San Bernardino attacker pledged allegiance to Islamic State leader, officials say...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2015/12/04/san-bernardino-attackers-tried-to-cover-their-tracks-official-says/

Way to spread bs. It's an active investigation, so the facts are- we do not really know the motive. Yet another example of irresponsible and shitty journalism.

Facebook posts you don't agree with? Herd them into the camps!

No Choada Boy, i'm way out in front of you on this. FUCK THE CAMPS!!!!! Any person that is down with ISIS should be killed.

No gitmo, no trial, no bullshit! These are enemy combatants and should be treated as such. Give them the Virgins.

San Bernardino attacker pledged allegiance to Islamic State leader, officials say...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2015/12/04/san-bernardino-attackers-tried-to-cover-their-tracks-official-says/

Way to spread bs. It's an active investigation, so the facts are- we do not really know the motive. Yet another example of irresponsible and shitty journalism.

No, you want to slow down the truth so the message can be spun the way you want. If this had been anything but a terrorist attack you would want all the details reported immediately.

The democrat party has a problem on their hands, no one believes global warming causes terrorism.

The democrat party has a problem on their hands, no one believes global warming causes terrorism.

QED, you are wrong, since you accuse at least one person of thinking so :crazy:

the causes of terrorism are necessarily complex - generally high stress-levels in society is clearly a major cause, and economic conditions in a community too, and both of these are easily effected by climate, whether you care to notice it or not.

Facebook posts you don't agree with? Herd them into the camps!

No Choada Boy, i'm way out in front of you on this. FUCK THE CAMPS!!!!! Any person that is down with ISIS should be killed.

No gitmo, no trial, no bullshit! These are enemy combatants and should be treated as such. Give them the Virgins.

congrats, you're just a hop, skip n' a jump away!

keep-calm-and-heil-mein-f%C3%BChrer-7.png

I think what you mean to say Ivan is that ISIS is on par with the Nazis and we need to move to stamp them out in the same way.

Islam literally translates as "submission".

France, the same France that didn't even want to fight the Nazis until they were sipping coffee in downtown Paris, has chosen submission through their liberal policies and decided to give their nation away.

Is that what you'd choose for us Ivan?

Edited by Eric T

isis is double-plus bad

assuming all the members of a religious group are terrorists and not deserving of any democratic form of due process before execution is double-plus bad too, in fact, it's more or less exactly the same thing isis does :)

you do realize this is EXACTLY what isis wants, right? they want the west to shit their pants and crack down on muslims b/c they figure it will force the vast majority of muslims who are in "the gray zone" to rally to them for protection

France, the same France that didn't even want to fight the Nazis until they were sipping coffee in downtown Paris, has chosen submission through their liberal policies and decided to give their nation away.

this is also bad history - france's biggest mistake in the inter-war years was assuming the maginot line was all it needed to ensure it's defense

france has not "given its nation away," it's stayed true to the concept of what france is about: liberty, equality, brotherhood. kudos for them.

assuming all the members of a religious group are terrorists and not deserving of any democratic form of due process before execution is double-plus bad too, in fact, it's more or less exactly the same thing isis does smile

Is that what we're calling ISIS now, "a religious group"????

you do realize this is EXACTLY what isis wants, right? they want the west to shit their pants and crack down on muslims b/c they figure it will force the vast majority of muslims who are in "the gray zone" to rally to them for protection

Only it's not just the west shitting our pants. It's China in the east and Russia in the north and since the whole of N. Africa is in flux it's the south too....do you see a pattern emerging?

france has not "given its nation away," it's stayed true to the concept of what france is about: liberty, equality, brotherhood. kudos for them.

And it back fired in their faces....kudos? Bullshit. Wake up.

assuming all the members of a religious group are terrorists and not deserving of any democratic form of due process before execution is double-plus bad too, in fact, it's more or less exactly the same thing isis does smile

Is that what we're calling ISIS now, "a religious group"????

you make it pretty clear you think all muslims should get tossed into the sausage machine - i'm pretty sure i'm not the only person here reading you that way