What's going on around here?

willstrickland

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

since when does your opinion count any more than mine. If you don't like it, don't participate. last time I checked the only person you get to tell wht to do is your own child.

the only person you can cahnge is your self... let others take resposability for themeslves

I like to climb everything and talk shit too. I am only a mediocre climber so I believe in quantity over quality. Ezxcept when it comes to beer that is bigdrink.gifbigdrink.gifbigdrink.gifbigdrink.gif

Honestly I dont think a snaf.gif eating your HCL.gif at a bivi can be called "introducing human food to wildlife" either.

Sport climbing rulz but chipped holds and bolted cracks suck and if i catch you doing that I'm gonna tell your mom. Or make you don a 60 lb pack and slog up scree for 15 hours in some alpine re education Mao style. So dont start - got it?

So catbird. say:

"Do some of you honestly believe that if you heap enough opprobrium upon the sport climbers that they will suddenly "see the light" and convert to alpine climbing? How stupid!"

"See the light"? Yes. (but not the conversion part).

How about some of you more liberal punks who did some soul-searching after 9-11 and asked the question, "why don't they like us????"

Good use of the word, "opprobrium". I'm really stupid so I looked it up in the dictionary: "the disgrace or the reproached incurred by conduct considered outrageously shameful."

Notice the use of the word "conduct". Some of us feel that the methodology (and the concept) of sport-climbing is distasteful. Do you have to approve of our opinion? No. Are we going to stop you from sport-climbing? No, probably not unless you are illegally on our private property or you are attempting to over-bolt a nice area in which case we'll seek a legal injunction. So go ahead....hang-dog, clip that bolt three feet from the last one, convince yourself after unlimited rehearsals that you really are a 5.13 climber...or listen to the dissent, decide if others have a point or not, and carry on accordingly.

Personally, I'm not out to convert anyone to alpine climbing, in fact, the less people I see in the mountains, the happier I am. I'm just expressing the notion that some people think sport-climbing is lame.

And here's another entertaining turn o'phrase, or slip, courtesy of the ubiquitous Mrs. "Muffy":

"does it realy bother you so much when some one you have never met, may never meat..."

Is this a new, hip term for "doing the nasty"? e.g., "Let's meat in the back seat of your car." ?

Funny stuff.

- D. bigdrink.gifbigdrink.gifbigdrink.gif

We just did some top-roping the tiny ice flows in the basin beneath Tooth. On the way up we noticed some bolted mixed climbs on the small rock outcropping. WTF? What is the point of bolting stuff up there? Is Exit 38 not close enough? And if you want to do some mixed climbing on that cliff, fine, but for the love of god why not top-rope it? There are plenty of trees. Hey Dwayner, what do you think of new-skool drytooling? IMHO it's getting pretty contrived. But rant aside, we had a good time, and there was nobody around! We were in the sun, and it was warm! What more could one ask?

I haven't sent Chain yet, so I won't let anybody chop it yet. But there is so much natural pro on the thing! A Leo Houlding-style taped hook in the jug beneath the roof, the same above the roof, a tri-cam in the two-finger pocket next to the arete, and perhaps a fixed lizard if you find one. Go for it! Actually, anybody who chops Chain will need at least two ice tools along with them, to make it back to the parking lot. A #5 Camalot might work too. cantfocus.gif