Grid / breathable fleece vest layer for cold days

sportnoob

I historically have used a Cap 4 hoody (or rough equivalent) as my next-to-skin layer for skiing, hiking, and climbing in the Cascades during the colder part of the year. I tend to run hot, and this is adequate most of the time trudging through the forest on its own.

Occasionally I'm left wanting for more insulation while moving when it's cold out, but layering a windshirt or softshell on top traps a little more moisture / heat than I'd like. Additionally, sometimes I want a little more warmth than just the Cap 4 + shell layer when climbing (talking stuff like weekend warrior stuff, Chair Peak, Triple Couloirs, and the like).

The internet blogosphere wants me to buy some Polartec Alpha insulation for this exact situation, claiming the stuff breathes well. That or just pony up for the R1 hoody as an alternative.

I'm thinking something simple like a fleece vest that is made of that grid stuff to layer over the Cap 4 hoody I currently have - something like an r1 vest (which doesn't exist, but BD Coefficient looks similar).

I've never tried actual climbing climbing with a vest. Does it suck? I don't see a ton of options on the market. Perhaps the designers know something I don't? Any perspectives from folks who do this or have tried it, and whether it sucks or not? I'm trying to save a little scratch relative to just buying the heavier R1 or the Polartec Alpha stuff since I only feel like this need arises on a handful of days.

#Overthinking

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's wool, but I use this Ibex tank over a thin baselayer for bc skiing on the uptrack on cold days with no shell. I also run hot.

http://shop.ibex.com/merino-wool-clothing/mens-short-sleeve-shirts/m-woolies-1-sleeveless

You will look a bit like you're cruising for action on Capitol HIll, but the vest/ tank thing kinda works since you keep your arms down if you're cold & arms up if you're hot and then ditch the heat from the pits.

Climbing with a thin vest doesn't suck. Colin Haley climbs in a vest all the time, so it can't suck that bad. I don't have much to add to your question because I live and climb in much different climates. I normally use a light weight polartec grid baselayer (REI brand) under my grid fleece hoody (First Ascent, which is a bit lighter weight than an R1). I don't run that hot, but that combo lets me do a lot of cardio without overheating. I normally ice/gully climb in a Gamma MX over that, which I'll put on after the approach sometimes on warmer days.

I too have thought a vest would add the additional insulation I need without being too bulky or warm. This winter will be my first season, so I have no field use yet. I purchased the OR Cathode Hoody. 60g's PrimaLoft Gold mixed in with soft panels on the sides to allow heat to escape. I plan on wearing the vest over my R1 Hoody. We'll see how it works out!

• 3 weeks later...

I've used a montbell vest with stretch sides like this, it works well to give that little extra bump of warmth. I like a grid fleece/windshirt as the action suit and vest over the top.

Note if you have the older cap 4 pataguchi they switched fabrics to the polartec "powerdry high efficiency" grid fleece recently. It's extremely breathable, but offers zero for wind.

• 1 month later...

I have not used a vest much for climbing but really like it for daly use including working outside. I like the thinner kind made of polyester with zipper pockets. I figure polyester is polyester name brand or not. I find nice fleece vests in thrift stores. Tried all kinds, prefer thin ones made of 100% polyester. If I need heavy vest for warmth I prefer insted having a jacket of some kind. In some areas of the world climbers using vests is somewhat popular. Note , when waring a back pack this negates the effectNess of the vest somewhat as the back is always covered

Edited by DanO