New Routes and Significant Repeats In SW BC -2002

Dru

I have been asked by Kelly Cordes to be a regional correspondant for the AAJ and to write a short report on activity in the Coast mts over the past year. I would prefer to limit my report to the South Coast area on the assumption there are others much better qualified to discuss what went on further north in the main part of the Range.

Attached please find a file listing all the new routes and (loosely defined) significant repeats I'm aware of for the South Coast over 2002 extending into the first weeks of 2003. I have also noted what activity I'm aware of from outside the south Coast area, but recognize that the latter list is seriously incomplete.

If you have corrections or additions to the list, please let me know ASAP via post here or PM. Thanks.

Missing from this list is any description of long new routes/FFAs on the Chief and in the Eldred Valley.arguably these could and should be included but maybe not by me.

125905-New routes 2002.doc

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dru, where is the write-up (if any) for the w. pillar of Gilbert. This is on same feature as Friendly Giant?

I do believe Croft did some speedy solo stuff on Combatant:

www.thenorthface.com

Wouldn't Bear direct be V not IV?

There is also Connie's route on Tremor, supposedly 5.7

I thought Dionne direct was 16 pitches in MEC book?

Good on ya for steppin up to the bat bigdrink.gif

Yup looks like I forgot Connie's route on Tremor. I deputize you to look it up in the MEC new route book they are sick of me calling the climbing desk for info.

Bear might get a V overall, I will have to consult Kearney and Beckey official sources.

I have heard Dione given 16, 17 and 18 pitches in various sources.

Yeah I forgot all about that Croft etc stuff in Wadd Range. Thats why I want Serl to write the main Coast range section, not me!

The new route on Gilbert may be seen in the Dec. issue of Climber mag (full page photo) or online at www.alpinist.com in a pre publication note. LOOKOUT: you must suffer through unnecessary Flash 6 animation to view this site!!!

Was Down's "Weart Remover" in 2001? I believe so.

Guy Edward's solo line as well?

Ooo I pissed the climbing counter off BIG TIME looking for Tremor:

They gave up looking, the dumbasses madgo_ron.gif I had to walk them throught the dam book: "okay after NE Settler, no, before E buttress Settler &c., &c.

The ole man said he'd write something about our climb and took a photo of mine. But if you want any details (none really needed since it's pretty straightforward ** look at ridge, walk over and climb it) ask me about our climb.

I know that Danimal and rat dog climbed Bear as well (Kearney route maybe?)...... I believe that wayne112 climbed it right behind them too...