Yet another shooting

glassgowkiss

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One gentleman on NPR this morning said it succinctly after living in Paris for a year: "Bad things can happen anywhere, sure, but it was so nice not to have to worry about my kid getting shot every time he stepped on the Metro to go to school. It was a huge difference in quality of life."

Folks have asked me when I've travelled for months to South America if I'm worried about my safety. Hell, I'm more worried about random gun violence or some nut who takes exception on how I drive or bike and needs to shore up his manhood via a large caliber handgun.

I never really feel 'unsafe' anywhere, but the only place I've been more dangerous than the US out of 35 countries visited was Johannesburg SA, and that is saying A LOT, because that place is a bit of a mess crime-wise.

I don't trust my fellow armed American for obvious reasons (see GOP line up for more information).

As for America being 'more violent' than other countries...data please? I would think that would be an argument FOR strict gun control, but then, you know, if A then B. That kind of thing.

Oh wait, that was CC's own Scare KKKrow. "If I only had a point!..."

or, less melodically put:

"Nothing to be done so I may as well not get off my ass to do anything."

HERO.

Changing the world is hard, sure. It's not for scare crows.

Ah yes, the 'TV violence' argument, also from the 70s (does KKK even realize that was 40 years ago?).

Inconveniently, as entertainment violence has skyrocketed - war coverage, the net, UFC, etc...violent crime in America has dropped precipitously.

Next fiction, please...

i'd agree - media violence doesn't do shit, in and of itself - crazy warlords can and do use violent movies to prime child-soldiers, but then of course they also then imediately take them out to shoot puppies and hack off arms to re-inforce the lesson- me n' my boy play call of duty then take a walk and get some ice-cream and he's a gentle-soul - violent media might have some sort of multiplier effect, but it's only going to operate on a small section of the population

a couple of weeks ago i watched my pal David and son drop 500 krauts in about 20 minutes. damn that kids a good sniper. then we all went and tossed a disk around. Id join in but ive got the reaction time of a pillbox. i do love tossing those grenades, tho. good for the mental acuity and great for bonding, i reckon. kids gotta burn the bumper crop of testosterone off somehow.

Performing back ground checks or more screening will have a very limited impact,

Because NRA says so? Actually there is a pretty good empirical evidence from Australia and Canada, that security and screenings work.

And yet you fail again to answer the crux question- why aren't mass shootings treated as acts of domestic terrorism. If they were, the lifespan of such activities would be very short.

I reckon if one of the kakesterz kids caught a bullet at school 'very limited' might be upgraded a bit.

a comprehensive 30 day background check with a nationwide criminal record database that isnt a bad joke would have a significant impact in keeping guns out of the hands of people with a proven history of violence.

I reckon if one of the kakesterz kids caught a bullet at school 'very limited' might be upgraded a bit.

a comprehensive 30 day background check with a nationwide criminal record database that isnt a bad joke would have a significant impact in keeping guns out of the hands of people with a proven history of violence.

Usually a "close and personal experience" at our hospital (according to my wife) changes people's perspective on the theory of "the best health care in the world" very fast. I assume a close and personal experience with gun violence would change kkk's notion of gun issue in this country. I just can't wait till this crowd ends up living in nursing homes, alone, abused and reflecting on their misguided ideas.

Edited by glassgowkiss