[TR] Snow Creek Wall - Outer Space -- LOOSE FLAKE on traverse pitch! 9/22/2015

mmeyers

Trip: Snow Creek Wall - Outer Space -- LOOSE FLAKE on traverse pitch!

Date: 9/22/2015

Trip Report:

I'm posting this as a warning, and in case someone more experienced than me might be able to check it out and determine if action needs to be taken.

This was my first time up Outer Space. Leading, I noted that one flake/block near the end of the traverse pitch, right before you move up to the belay, was flexing a little. It had plenty of chalk on it, so clearly it's being used. I skipped it and moved along.

My partner, who has climbed the route numerous times, also noted that it was loose, and said that it has never moved on him before.

It seems to me to be a potential safety issue, especially since there are so many inexperienced climbers on the route. I'm not equipped to assess the safety of it, nor do anything to fix/remove it - hopefully someone else can determine if it's really a problem.

Be safe out there!

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just climbed outer space yesterday (9/28). The flake moves about the same as i remember it did when i climbed it last (spring 2014). Doesn't seem to be going anywhere, but who knows after another winter or 5's worth of freeze-thaw cycles. It doesn't change the difficulty to not use it, so i'd say just avoid it until it comes off on its own.