[TR] Temple Ridge - The Temple 9/19/2015

bellows

Trip: Temple Ridge - The Temple

Date: 9/19/2015

Trip Report:

Mount Temple is a long way to go for a couple 5.6 moves but the views are enchanting and the company was second to none.

All the beta you need here. Pay attention to the 4th class traverse to the right from the talus field above Nada Lake. From there roughly follow the creek to its headwaters below The Temple taking the path of least resistance. There’s occasionally a rough climbers trail but I found it hard (and not necessary) to stay on.

Following the creek thru Temple Canyon.

IMG_7101e.jpg

Mount Temple on the left. Stack Crag on the right. There was zero snow below the col, which added a little fifth class chimney on the way up and a rappel on the way down.

IMG_71081.JPG

Looking out towards Edwards Mesa. Larches are just starting to turn.

IMG_7110.JPG

View from the col to the summit. The 5.6 crux slab is just out of view due to foreshortening. It is (not really) protected by a manky 1/4" bolt. You might be able to fiddle some small gear off to the left of the slab.

IMG_7122.JPG

Weather moved in right when I topped out, raining a little and stealing some of my views. Prusik was visible briefly, then overtaken by clouds.

IMG_71301.JPG

A single steep 30m rap got me back down. Beware of the rope eating hole beneath the crux slab.

IMG_7158.JPG

I hiked in and out the same day. Just under 12 hours car to car at a consistent but relaxed pace. Beats playing the permit lotto, but it would be a beautiful place to spend a couple nights and climb several of the other Cashmere Crags along the ridge.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice trip. Summers winding down isn't it? Traversing Razorback and Comet Peaks is another really nice and significantly longer route in the same vicinity. I remember maybe 4 pitches of 5th class to 5.8, some 4th class and a rappel or two. Great, deserted area.

There's also a two pitch 5.12? up there that looks totally amazing. Overhanging hand cracks to OW. Always wondering about the climbing history of that thing.