[TR] Ingalls Peak - South Ridge 9/7/2015

Pete Wojcik

Trip: Ingalls Peak - South Ridge

Date: 9/7/2015

Trip Report:

My friend Mike and I climbed the South Ridge of North Ingalls Peak on September 7. We slept at the trail head Sunday night and got an early start Monday morning hoping to beat any crowds. After a couple of detours and stopping at Ingalls Lake for a bit we made it to the start of the climb in about 3.5 hours.

It had snowed a few inches the night before and the weather was being a little moody while climbing. This was my first alpine climb and I got to experience climbing in fog, wind, and with cold fingers…it was awesome!

We did the climb in 4 pitches instead of 3 like the majority of the trip reports I had read. I forgot to snap a good picture of the entire face and snagged a photo from another trip report by Alicia Broederdorf to describe our route. Her trip report is also an excellent description of the approach and route: http://ajtrekker08.blogspot.com/2012/08/ingalls-peak-north-summit-south-ridge.html

We did 4 rappels down the same way we came up. Bring a 70 m rope if you want to make the rappel from the bolted anchors at 3 to the ledge at 2.

Our route shown in yellow. Numbers show the end of each pitch. There are slings at 1 and 2, and bolted anchors at 3 and 4.

01_Ingalls_Peak.jpg

View from Ingalls Lake with some fresh snow near Ingalls Peak.

02_IMG_2714.JPG

Making our way to the start.

03_IMG_2719.JPG

Mike heading up the first pitch.

04_G0077669.JPG

Belaying Mike up the second pitch.

05_G0077744.JPG

Mike heading off into the fog on the second to last pitch.

06_G0077776.JPG

Somewhere on the second to last pitch.

07_G0077861.JPG

Belaying Mike up the last pitch.

08_G0077898.JPG

Following up the last pitch.

09_G0077931.JPG

Scrambling to the true summit.

10_G0077958.JPG

Mike had better luck with the weather and had Mt. Stuart poking through the clouds in the background.

11_IMG_2728.JPG

Turned out to be an awesome day.

12_IMG_2742.JPG

Gear Notes:

Singles to 3", set of nuts, a few single and double length alpine draws, 70 m rope.

Approach Notes:

Some snow at the base of the climb but it is probably gone by now.

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic