denali?

ivan

any of our conservative climbers want to try to claim this is yet another example of a chief executive out of control?

hoping everest's imperialist moniker falls soon too in favor of one of the wildly more unpronounceable originals :)

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

fine by me - tahoma and wy'east are kewl names

interesting to me to read that everest himself disagreed w/ his name being applied to the mountain - don't know what mckinley though, but i'm sure he'd have agreed to denali if'n that was what it took to keep him from getting kilt by a lousy anarchist :)

fine by me - tahoma and wy'east are kewl names

interesting to me to read that everest himself disagreed w/ his name being applied to the mountain - don't know what mckinley though, but i'm sure he'd have agreed to denali if'n that was what it took to keep him from getting kilt by a lousy anarchist :)

I don't really care what the mountains are called. No man owns the mountains and they have no name really - it's part of man's arrogance and compulsion to do give them names.

Tahoma does not sound that cool to me. I'd say keep Rainier. But Wy'east is pretty cool, and I've called Denali by this name forever it seems.

i've always thought it quite odd that each language seems to need to change the names/pronunciations of other people's places - why do we call maskva moscow, for example? it's not like we can't make our tongues turn that way.

i think it's funny the people most pissed about our nations biggest mountain formally going by the name it's already called by everybody who cares about it are themselves from one of the flattest, dullest spots on the map :)

i've always thought it quite odd that each language seems to need to change the names/pronunciations of other people's places - why do we call maskva moscow, for example? it's not like we can't make our tongues turn that way.

i think it's funny the people most pissed about our nations biggest mountain formally going by the name it's already called by everybody who cares about it are themselves from one of the flattest, dullest spots on the map :)

I've studied several languages and as it turns out, some original names do stick. I recall that some names in Greece for example (Corinth) predate the invading populations. But yes, in general, you are right in names are either replaced or bastardized.

any of our conservative climbers want to try to claim this is yet another example of a chief executive out of control?

hoping everest's imperialist moniker falls soon too in favor of one of the wildly more unpronounceable originals :)

"I am the Walrus"

Donny :wave:

At least the name wasn't changed to "the FARSIDE" or "the DROPZONE"... someone might get cornfused....

I don't really care what name the mountain has. But I DO find myself caring... wondering....... who the fuck really sits around giving a shit about this?

I mean I work for a living - I care about my job, and doing it well enough to keep it and keep the bills paid and buy cool shit for myself to occasionally go have fun. Then when the time comes to have fun, I'm, busy having the fun climbing the mountain or riding my road bike, training for races that I never actually get to race in or whatever. I guess I'm mistaken in thinking this is most of us?

The only people I can conceive having enough time on their hands to even think, let alone give a shit, about the value of a name of a mountain and think it should be changed for sake of ___________ (insert pretentious gay ass cause of choice) is douchebag spoiled stoned asshole college kids or maybe dirtbag climbers... neither of which should have the power or toolage required to actually make it happen.

What am I missing?

I don't really care what name the mountain has. But I DO find myself caring... wondering....... who the fuck really sits around giving a shit about this?

I mean I work for a living - I care about my job, and doing it well enough to keep it and keep the bills paid and buy cool shit for myself to occasionally go have fun. Then when the time comes to have fun, I'm, busy having the fun climbing the mountain or riding my road bike, training for races that I never actually get to race in or whatever. I guess I'm mistaken in thinking this is most of us?

The only people I can conceive having enough time on their hands to even think, let alone give a shit, about the value of a name of a mountain and think it should be changed for sake of ___________ (insert pretentious gay ass cause of choice) is douchebag spoiled stoned asshole college kids or maybe dirtbag climbers... neither of which should have the power or toolage required to actually make it happen.

What am I missing?

Calm down Ben. Take a deep breath. this is nothing to get all excited about. there are bigger fish to fry and expend your negative energies towards.

I appreciate the name change and I am sure the natives to alaska do to. By last self analysis I may be a douchebag, spoiled, dirtbag or an asshole. but I def am not stoned or a kid and quite possibly no longer a climber. (for now) I think your definition of people who care about this name change is a little harsh.

or are you stoned?

"douchebag spoiled stoned asshole college kids or maybe dirtbag climbers"

Edited by genepires

What am I missing?

Calm down Ben. Take a deep breath. this is nothing to get all excited about. there are bigger fish to fry and expend your negative energies towards.

I appreciate the name change and I am sure the natives to alaska do to. By last self analysis I may be a douchebag, spoiled, dirtbag or an asshole. but I def am not stoned or a kid and quite possibly no longer a climber. (for now) I think your definition of people who care about this name change is a little harsh.

or are you stoned?

"douchebag spoiled stoned asshole college kids or maybe dirtbag climbers"

BAM. Rest my case.

names are symbols n' symbols have meaning whether you care to notice them or not :)

at any rate, the OP was a question regarding executive over-reach, not necessarily the nomenclature of mountains :P

Obama did it as a political stunt to talk about global warming... just in time for election season to stir up the old wedge issues and discord.

That's all you'll get out of me on that. I find the renaming itself more interesting than discussing B-ho's potential "over-reach". Same old politics is boring.

Mountains are fucking cool. Much cooler than politics

names are symbols n' symbols have meaning whether you care to notice them or not :)

at any rate, the OP was a question regarding executive over-reach, not necessarily the nomenclature of mountains :P

it's like what Lenin said, you look for the person that will benifit..... :)...