Clear Creek 2060

hanman

I will be coordinating a work party through Darrington's Friends For Public Use (FFPU) this weekend with the goal of performing permanent repairs to the concrete ford at Asbestos Creek. We were authorized by the FS to perform this work following a plan submittal about a year ago. Without this important repair, it is likely that the 2060 would only remain open a couple more years if the ford went away and got replaced by a natural drainage channel. If you have driven across in the last year, you noted the exposed reinforcement bars....

The funds for this most excellent project were donated by FFPU, WCC, and the Greyell Memorial fund.

Ironically, we are about to get a big rain, the first in a long long time. Anyone out there have access to a trash pump we will likely need to keep the upstream from pooling into the work area? Just thought I would ask, though it's a long shot-

Also, PM me if interested in helping out. I'll be camping there on Friday night.

Thanks,

Mark Hanna

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Hi all-

The first trip up was pretty much a wash out (slight understatement), but we got some of the downstream footing in place prior to the deluge plus a bit of grinding around the exposed rebar. Nels and Martha Rasmussen, and Paul/Phyllis (with the FS)team were unstoppable.

The next trip was myself and James Lescantz, and we hand mixed about 30 bags of polymer grout and concrete. Hard work but felt great. The original plan was to target over just the rebar but the surface was so eroded that a full overlay was done.

I would like to put together a fund raising effort over the winter to build supplies again. This round was purchased by WCC, Greyell fund, and FFPU (Friends for Public Use). I think an additional 2K would cover the costs.

I believe we stabilized the worst of the damage for the winter, and it will be good to see how the particular grout and bonding agents perform in this challenging application.

A huge thanks to all involved, it's great to not be too worried about continued damage to the fiord. It has truly been a pleasure working alongside dedicated FS employees and volunteers alike on both this project and the North Mountain Lookout Restoration this summer. Check out their FB page to see all of the hard work done to date.

As the adopter of the 2060 road, I'll soon be headed up to clear culverts for the season, please let me know if anyone would like to go with-

Cheers,

M.Hanna

• 3 weeks later...

Headed up with my wonderful wife yesterday and checked the 78 :crazy: culverts from town to 8 mile trailhead. 5 of the culverts were obstructed and would have caused road damage during a storm of this magnitude. Also cleared the drains on the clear creek bridge, most of which have been plugged for a long time. The Asbestos Creek fiord is in good shape after the partial repair.

I'm collecting funds for the remainder of the repair next year on the behalf of FFPU please pm me if interested in making a donation.

Or come up and give a hand, all welcome

M. Hanna

Mark -

I've taken the liberty of establishing a go fund me campaign in an effort to raise funds as you have laid out here and as we have discussed privately.

I've cross posted to as many avenues as I have at my disposal and would encourage others who derive pleasure from the area to do likewise.

We couldn't have a more capable person out there assessing or performing this work than Mark. He and the others I have met that share a love for this valley and Darrington as a whole are some of the most diverse and inspiring folks I've ever had the pleasure of knowing.

This is a modest sum of money for the value of the terrain accessed by this road.

So, do what you can.

Thanks!

Tyson geBauer

go fund me

• 1 month later...

Bumpity bump!

I've taken the liberty of establishing a go fund me campaign in an effort to raise funds:

go fund me

Good time to look back on another (hopefully) fine year of enjoying our most awesome backyard! And then see if you can pitch in a few bucks toward future access for yourself, your kids and everyone else that will follow. Cheers!

Edited by curtveld

Hi All-

My apologies for not checking in here as often as I should. Thanks to everyone for the donations, kind words, and offers of assistance in this important project. We got a great start on repairs this year, and it will be great to validate the materials and methods that we used over this wet season.

Work in 2015 included:

1) Reinforcement/casting a new footing to the downstream side of the concrete pad, was very eroded and undercut

2) Encapsulation and restraint of reinforcement steel which was exposed and reinforcing nothing but air :) We sawcut around the steel to key in the repair grouts.

3) Floated in a high strength traffic grade polymer repair grout

4) Filled in deep pockets with concrete to minimize the water flowing underslab.

The FS has been very helpful in every respect getting this approved and started. Several FS and FFPU folks have given their volunteer hours to helping as well.

Really looking forward to 2016 progress!! Keep putting the word out-

Also, FFPU is working hard to maintain roads in the whole local system, much damage was caused by the large events in past weeks.

FFPU

• 2 months later...

I went up to the 8 Mile trail on Clear Creek road on Saturday just to check out the road and trail. There are two new holes developing in the middle of the road. They are deeper than the photos can show, and seem to open up a bit below.

The first one points downhill so it is obvious on the way in. Odometer showed it 2.0 miles from Mountain Loop Highway turnoff.

1_First_hole_-_DSCN4216.jpg

2_First_hole2_-_DSCN4217.jpg

The second one is located beyond the concrete spillway recently patched by Hanman. Someone put a stick in it. Odometer showed it 3.5 miles from Mountain Loop Highway turnoff.

3_Second_hole_-_DSCN4218.jpg

4_Second_hole2_-_DSCN4219.jpg

Edited by Otto