Is North Sister "Terrible Traverse" dry?

lou hibbard

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Successfully climbed North Sister last Monday (9/21). Good thin snow cover to gain the SE ridge from the glacier. Dry rock up to just before the "terrible traverse". For us, the terrible traverse was pretty well covered will snow. We were able to kick deep solid steps the entire length, but the snow was only maybe a foot deep in the best places, and a couple inches deep on others. No snow from the end of the terrible traverse up to the true summit. We use two 30 meter ropes, cams 1-4, and a couple larger nuts. The slings at the top of the bowling alley are in good condition. Not an alarming amount of random rock fall noted. Still a little water at Arrowhead lake.

It has definitely melted a bunch since then, but still snow. I chickened out on the traverse while standing in your steps. The snow was so shallow that my axe was worthless for protection. The snow was icy enough with a low snow level that my footing was very sketchy. I was also solo, so I will come back when snow conditions look better to me. 4371.JPG4351.JPG4341.JPG4281.JPG4261.JPG

Edited by Gordok