Mount Baker Highway camping, Fisher Chimney's beta

dmdebruin

I'm looking for camping options along Mount Baker highway where we can crash prior to heading up the Fisher Chimney's on Shuksan in a week or so. I've trolled a couple of the USFS options and it looks like it might be hard to get a site based on the reservations already booked and limited walk-ins available. What's the beta on good campgrounds along Hwy 542 and/or dispersed camping?

For the Fisher Chimneys, based on the most recent trip reports, it looks like we should be good to go as long as we're prepared for some ice climbing. Is the road open all the way to Artist Point this time of year? How's the parking situation at the trailhead to Lake Ann? Is there a toilet there/nearby?

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey d:

Regarding camping near baker: check the hannegan pass rd. it has a good variety of designated and dispersed campsites. If leaves hwy 542 just after the shuksan WSDOT station and just before the hwy starts to seriously climb towards the ski area. It's signed. The road is about five miles long with most of the camping options early, but over half a dozen sites in the road end. I think this time of the yea you'll find something good.

Regarding fisher chimneys: I don't think anyone can give you anything beyond a. Insignia report and you can search and browse that better than anyone can reply. My suggestion is go see. Bring your A game and e ready to turn around if you're in over you head. If you end up turning around at Annie's slide (the first real steep snow), you'll still have gone for one hell of a hike!

Good luck

Yes you can drive to Artist Point. There are a couple small FS campgrounds on the highway after you go past Glacier. I've never seen them full. Plenty of parking room at Lake Ann trailhead, bring a forest service parking permit or Ranger Jane will ticket you. Don't recall an outhouse there but there is one at Artist point a mile up the road. No camping though.