New Guy Here

Zac27916

Hello

My name is Zac. I am hoping that this forum will give me some understanding as to how I can get involved in this sport. I took a class a while ago and really had a great time. It seems like a lot of people have access to rock climbing gyms. I don't live very close to any. I think I would rather climb outside anyway while the weather is good.

I guess my question is whether or not you all got so immersed in this with clubs, or just driving out to a rock and saying hi. Unfortunately nobody I know really has an interest in rock climbing so I'll be looking to meet people who can teach me.

Thanks

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For god sake take the blue pill and lead a normal life! I would wager climbing is more than sport for anyone on this forum with more than 50 posts. If you go down this road, just know that soon enough you will only hang out with climbers, all your non-climbing friends now will fade away, you will start eating moldy begals layered with horse cock, smell like chalk and stinky athletic tape, quit your job and move into the back of your pickup. God I hope you are over 18. Just saying. :)

On a positive note FRESH MEAT! A lot of us sort of taught our selves how to climb before the internet was invented and picked up a lot of tips here and there from old geezers, and somehow we are still alive. Before the interweb, We checked out all the rock climbing books available at the library! Sat around and smoked big fatties and drooled over the latest climbing mags, found some rocks and tried to kill ourselves. Can't say that is the best way to learn. If you are looking for a teacher I would recommend a club. Or else you could put a goat on a string and wait around the start of the Clear Creek road near Darrington, You could likely trade unmentionables with the goat for some serious slab and trad climbing schooling. I would say the goat/string idea would be preferable to a 40 person climbing club trip to Smith Rock for a number of good reasons, mostly because goats are cool and can actually climb better than most of the instructors at said club events, plus they give milk and you can put a dog pack on them and they can carry half your rack or more without complaint and won't drink your beer, though they will munch a medical stash in 1/2 a second. However, you will always have to drive.

Edited by shapp

Hahaha.....that was funny :)

Seriously, have you tried the partner section of this site? I've had pretty good luck over the years...only had to pepper spray one or two people but they weren't on lead or anything.

If you are honest about your experience level you should have pretty good luck finding another noob or someone willing to show you the ropes. There are many aging crusty climbers on this site who will need a young rope gun sooner than later.

OMFG...Shapp- I love you and I don't even know your name!! Swear that sounds like some old country song.

Zac- Depending on the area you're in...I'm always up for after work/weeknight evening exit 34/38 climbs and weekend Tieton/Vantage climbs...(or others..that's just where I typically play)....

PM me if your near any of those areas. And yes, the partner section works well...most times....

OMFG...Shapp- I love you and I don't even know your name!!

Your location says BFE, WA - Of which one can only surmise given the nature of typical "BFE" residents that you are indeed a true goat-on-a-string Aficionado. If so, you must then be a Darrington regular if not true hardcore. If so, have we not met at one of those moss-covered jeweled slabs before?

Edited by shapp