Mt Jefferson Northside Routes

Alexander TG

Looking at hitting Jefferson in a few days. Was thinking about hitting the North Ridge but can't find a lot of beta about trying to solo it this late season with no snow. Is this a terrible idea, are there any Northside routes that would be in (atleast kind of) right now with out a lot of ice.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

.Is this a terrible idea.....

Holy fuck I suspect it would be spicy. I only have experience on it iced over, and it seemed spicy then (ie, no pro and people tied together). Timberline is always open for skiing now and I saw they closed for lack of snow, so only someone who's been on it recently in it's dry state could give a solid comment (heh heh, "solid" comment) I couldn't imagine it with out the ice. I don't think it's a high likelihood that you'd get beaned by rocks although it's still low probability, and that would be my biggest fear.

Bet a nice trip up jeff park glacier and it wouldn't be too committing if you chose to turn around cause the rock was crap (I suspect it is). The crevasse must be wide open, so you'd have no surprises there although it might be work getting around it. Might be a good day of hanging on the Mt and some ice climbing on the schrund even if you chose not to go for it.

Have fun and let us know how it goes.

I was at Jeff Park this past weekend camping. I was initially planning to go play on the glacier a bit, but decided to just swim in scout lake after seeing it's state. Here's a shot of Jeff Park glacier for your viewing pleasure.JeffPark.jpg