Ice tools??

Farrgo

Okay, so I've done a bit of mountaineering and glacier travel and I want to start climbing some alpine and waterfalls. I've been shopping a little bit for tools but I've realized that I really don't know which tools would be best for my style? I plan to do mostly alpine stuff, although I would like to do some waterfall ice. Any suggestions?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Straight shaft is best for alpine. The reason for this as you may know is it works better when you need to thrust the shaft into snow for a self-belay. You want one hammer and one adze. The hammer to drive pitons (and maybe pound ins- not common anymore). You need the adze to cut steps, and to cut down to good ice before you place a screw.

Maybe get one straight hammer and one bent shaft adze. If you plan on doing waterfalls, get a third tool with a bent shaft and hammer. Many alpine trips you will use an ice axe and one tool. So start with a good technical axe. Some axes just suck on ice.

Do you no anyone who you could borrow tools from before you go spend the big dollars? I would recommend this highly.

Also I won't rule out curved shaft tools. The curve is nice when clearing bugles.

I have alp wings, they are curved and pulge well.

Chouinard says that for all ice and mixed climbing the best combination is a 70 cm wooden-handled modestly-drooped ice axe. For really steep stuff, add a short "North Wall Hammer". For both the best leash is a length of webbing girth-hitched around the head, and lashed to the bottom with cord. To adjust, twist the webbing. bigdrink.gif

Chouinard says that for all ice and mixed climbing the best combination is a 70 cm wooden-handled modestly-drooped ice axe.

I've got one of those, and it actually saw service just this last summer, as did the old Salewa crampons with the flashy brown neoprene straps. Its only 25 years old, I need to make sure I get my money's worth out of it. Now if I could just find my old coathanger ice screws and the knickers I made out of a pair of Belgian Army pants I'd be styling.