Death of a machine

gertlush

Howe Sound

25 years and a lot of paper, but the world has moved on. 180 people gone, I've never been through something like this and it's brutal. Seeing friends lose their jobs, having to lay off 2 people myself, ugh. :(

Sad part is there is nothing coming along to replace these jobs. Newsprint was a big part of Canada's forest industry but it's ending all over the country. It's been fascinating to get in on the tail end of this whole thing and witness, firsthand, the collapse of an industry.

Not an experience I wish to repeat though. If you ever get a chance to see a paper machine running full-bore I'd highly recommend it.

Anyway, just posting, back to spray.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

They can probably make more money running the water intake for power than they can selling pulp.

Figure that will last until anaerobic biomass digestion for power starts to ramp up. I heard that a portable chip mill is currently at break-even if brought to a setting where all of the saw logs are already felled and yarded.