Boot outsole coming off...how to repair?

jstluise

I have a pair of Asolo Powermatic 200 GV boots that have served me well for the last 8 years or so. After my last climb I discovered the outsole is completely coming off at the midfoot/forefoot on both boots.

Lp9TUuBl.jpg

Can anyone recommend a good way to fix this? It seems like pulling the entire outsole off and re-gluing it (type of glue?) after the proper prep would be the best way. Or, maybe someone can recommend a shop that can do this repair that won't break the bank (Seattle/Bellevue area).

Thanks

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had surprisingly good results with plain old super-glue when boots come apart on trips and need emergency repair... some of these emergency repairs have proven fairly permanent! an easy fix when it works, and won't make things any worse if it doesn't.

-Haireball

1. Remove all residue and dirt from both surfaces with a stiff brush. An appropriate solvent may be necessary to remove the glue residue.

2. Apply Barge cement to both surfaces until tacky.

3. Adhere sole to boot, using some method to apply even pressure during the drying process. Cobblers use a press to do this, you might be able to rig up some bungees or something.

I emailed Dave Page and asked about re-gluing the outsole. He said

If the tread is coming off the cushioning layer just above, it means that cushioning layer is deteriorating. The boots would have to be completely rebottomed.

I'm guessing that means resoled? Anyways, it is $75 for the pair. I'll probably just do that since the uppers are still in great shape.

• 3 months later...

I finally got around to dropping by boots off at Dave Page's shop. Boy am I impressed! They completely resoled the boots and they look awesome (they treated the leather, too). I'm glad I went this route and didn't try to fix anything myself. Feels like I have a brand new pair of boots at 1/4 of the price!

YSmaMGCl.jpg