boot comfort ideas

bedellympian

I have a bone spur on my left foot (medial cuneiform) and when I have long days hiking in my Nepal Evos it irritates the heck out of it for a couple days afterwards. Obviously I can start wearing alternate approach shoes and just climb in the Evos where possible, and I could try other boots but otherwise these fit me pretty darn well.

Anyone out there with similar issues or ideas to try? I currently use the factory insoles and am considering getting something more supportive that might stop the irritation. Thoughts?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You don't say where on your medial cuneiform the spur is located, but in some cases where there is a localized pressure point it may be possible to modify the shape of the boot and make a little bump-out, without compromising the security of the fit or damaging the strength of the boot very much. This is easier with a plastic shell (I had it done to ski boots to make room for a badly healed broken internal malleolus), but I would consult with a cobbler about it. The procedure would be something like soaking the boot in warm water for ten minutes and then push the leather out from inside through a ring bracing the outside as it dries. I don't know how effective it would be with leather and I imagine it would revert toward its original shape if the leather became saturated again. If the pressure point is against the insole perhaps you could ease the fit in that location by thinning the insole from the bottom?