SEWS & NEWS bivy sites?

climbingsolo

hey y'all,

im looking to approach up to SEWS & NEWS this weekend from the Blue lake trail. are there any decent bivy sites up near the base of the spires that one could crash at for a night? i know its a short approach from the parking lot anyway, i just prefer to sleep away from the road and such.

is there water access up there?

thanks for any insite

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Plenty of bivy sites up there, but folks rarely bother, due to the close proximity of the road. Water is available at the creek at the junction where the trail splits from the main Blue Lake trail toward the spires. Not much up higher around NEWS or SEWS, but you may be able to find a spring if you hunt long enough.

Plenty of excellent places to pitch a tent but water is certainly a problem in the upper basin once the snow's gone. I camped below SEWS late summer my first trip up there and had to head over to Blue Lake in the morning for water. My partner & I both agreed we wouldn't do that again. If you're just looking to camp in a nice spot and don't mind a side trip for water it might be worth it to you.