Kautz Glacier Route (Mt Rainier) 7/17-7/19

dave66

If anyone is interested in a climb of the Kautz Glacier route (Mt Rainier) with me this Friday -Sunday let me know. (7/17-7/19)

If you’ve not been, It's a great route, (I've done it three times) – and as of the last ranger blog entry of 7/1/15 the route was in good climbing condition, (I will watch for any changes/updates.)

You’ll just need your normal glacier setup, and w/two ice tools (axes) (for two ice pitches of apx 55and 60 degrees.) I have rope, screws and V-thread tool (and extra ATC. figure eight ) for the ice sections. High camp @ camp Hazard, 11K ft. Also flexible on leave times for the drive down, so either Thurs eve/fri leave just fine.

Let me know if your interested and/or if you have any questions about the route etc.

Thanks!

-Dave

__._,_.___

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Andrew,

Great to hear from you and would love to have joined you for the weekend of 7/25, but alas am flying out to CO 7/24-7/28 to do some climbing there, would you perhaps be game after I get back - say weekend of 8/1?

Thanks!

Dave

Hey Nikolay,

A very good point-w/all this warm weather is definitely a factor!- if I didn't know of a few out of range sites @ Hazard would totally stay lower--(they are to the far left and much safer) --otherwise there is a good camp at 10k at the bottom of the turtle. (Hazard saves the long slog up the turtle on summit day)

Thanks,

Dave

Hey not a prob for fri eve! would you be open to --say car camp /gear check fri eve and get the permit right at 7a.m. Sat and go from there--I'm coming from Seattle--and looks like your in Olympia --so say fri eve what time would work for you to meet in say Ashford or the like say 8-9P--?

Also let me know if there's any gear you might need as I may have.

Curious too if you've done the route before?

Thanks, Dave