• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
pup_on_the_mountain

The Daily Show piece about renaming Denali

Not a bad piece as the hill should be called Denali.

As for the Rainier vs Tahoma. IMHO that issue is quite different than the Denali vs McKinley issue. McKinley got named for political reasons which continue today.

1/2 my family lives in various parts of Alaska in relatively close proximity to Denali. I don't think I have every been in a conversation on the numerous times when I have been to AK, where someone called it McKinley when discussing the location, thats everyone, not just climbers, kids, grandmas, every day folks call it Denali.

Most everyone that lives near Mt. Rainier calls it that.

As much as I would support it being changed to Tahoma, I doubt that will ever happen.

Alaska is different. We have a much closer relationship with our native people and native names.

I believe there is simply too much intertwining of modern urban life around the name Mount Rainier, as well as a disconnect with the local native peoples to have it changed to Tahoma. Still...it would be cool to see it happen.