Black Diamond O2 Recall

iain

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

right on shred, my sentiments exactly. For me, the whole point of telemark is the light, solid, field-repairable gear. My biggest concern running AT gear is that if it breaks you're stranded. Voile 3-pins can be run with just pins, and if those rip you have cables and vice-versa. If I telemarked (and probably will end up doing so) that's exactly what I'd get.

I've got em and I like em. They tour great with the cables removed, ski well with the cables on, and are pretty durable. Only problem is, they obviously don't hold climbing boots. I climbed hood in my tele boots and found that they ski better than they climb (and this was the South Side!). The main problem is the duck-bill toe that keeps front points from penetrating. And I think that for climbing approaches AT would definitely beat snowshoes.

By the time you are at the top and exhausted from carrying your heavy skis and wearing your special superstiff, blister-maker boots I'm already half way down. This doesn't really apply to me anyway cause I'm not really interested in doing "slog" routes which don't involve vertical,technical sections.

I did break my voile 3-pin cable a couple weeks ago! I was skiing below Table Mountain and went over a snow covered boulder, caught some air then landed and was about to go over another and all of a sudden stopped dead in my tracks. when I untangled myself I found I had treaded my left ski thru an overturned root ball cantfocus.gif The impact broke the bail hook bar and I could not clamp it down pitty.gif I was able, however, to tightenup the cables, jam my boot in there and ski down and out to the parking lot rockband.gif in fourteen years of back country touring with voile and 3 pins in general I have yet to be let down. I must say, though, that if those bindings had not been mounted to shims that were mounted to the skis with five instead of three screws, the binding would have ripped out. I am not sure why my knee didn't rip out bigdrink.gif