[TR] Aasgard Pass - Acid Baby 6/15/2015

Dinonuggetz

Trip: Aasgard Pass - Acid Baby

Date: 6/15/2015

Trip Report:

It was the last weekend to camp up in the Enchantments without a permit. So Adam and I decided to camp at Colchuck Lake and have Vern meet us at the lake the next morning. On Saturday we climbed Acid Baby on Aasgard Pass. Every pitch was stellar, with great jams, fun stemming, some liebacking and even some slab all capped by a wild and exposed ridge traverse. The descent was one of the most pleasant descents I've encountered. We spent a little under 6 hours on route. If you haven't checked this one out yet I'd recommend it. See pictures if not convinced :P

View of the route from Aasgard. Ridge Traverse pitch is the comb-like feature on the skyline.

IMG_08351.JPG

Vern leading the start of the Ridge Traverse

GOPR0122.JPG

Adam on one of the sweet spots of the Ridge

GOPR0131.JPG

Myself on the Ridge

IMG_08242.JPG

Topout view

GOPR0136.JPG

Casual sandy descent

GOPR0138.JPG

On a side note, we couldn't believe the amount of people up there this weekend! At one point Vern counted 60+ people slogging up Aasgard. As we watched throughout the day I estimate at least 200+ people made the hike up over Aasgard to camp in the Enchantment zone. Every site at Colchuck Lake was taken. The boulder field was also clogged with tents as well as people camping right on the Lake shore. There is obviously good reason for the permit season in this area. As we got out there were cars lined up all the way from the Stuart Lake trailhead for a mile down the road. Need some no parking signs?? Anyways.... hope you are all getting out and having fun!

Gear Notes:

Doubles to 3" and 1 #4

Small selection of nuts

Approach Notes:

Colchuck Lake Trail, 3/4 up Aasgard on the left.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is obviously good reason for the permit season in this area.

I wonder if there'd be so many if there weren't such a tight permitting system (with people waiting years to get one, denied over and over). In other words, starve the masses, and this is what you get :-P

I looked up your way as I hiked up Aasgard to see if any climbers were on that route but you were probably topped off by then (2 pm or so)? Anyways, great job!

I've been up there a couple times this time of year and in normal years this hasn't been much of a problem. The early summer and lack of snow is the likely issue at hand. Additional, why wasn't there a Ranger up there to enforcing camping regulations. If you're going to have Rangers they should be out in the field helping create a better environment for everyone. Otherwise we shouldn't have them at all, which in many cases I am okay with that. Hopefully, next year our snowpack will be much better!

Additional, why wasn't there a Ranger up there to enforcing camping regulations. If you're going to have Rangers they should be out in the field helping create a better environment for everyone.

Be careful what you wish for ... you might just get it .... along with Larry the Tool knocking on your tent door.

:brew:

True:

Permit_Map.jpg

This map appears to have changed from what i remember in the past where the boundaries extended closer to the peaks of Stuart, Argonaut, etc.

A few years ago I went to climb Argonaut, approaching from Stuart Lake Trail and camping in the basin under the N side. I thought I needed a permit (looking at the map above) and reserved one. When I went to pick up the permit and told the ranger where I was camping she said I did NOT need a permit to be there. You may be good - call the ranger to be sure

This is the definitive map of the boundaries that have been in place since 1987. The USFS chooses to publish crappy and fuzzy maps instead of this clear work.

https://fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5428875.pdf

Scan-150619-0001.jpg

They really need to split the core zone - coney/tolketie/edwards plateau/n side of temple ridge really is a different place that shouldn't be impacted by the 100's that rush to the lakes S of Temple ridge