[TR] Washington Pass - NW Corner; NEWS and S Arete SEWS - 6/12/2015

Verticolorful

Trip: Washington Pass - NW Corner; NEWS and S Arete SEWS -

Date: 6/12/2015

Trip Report:

While Audrey was sleeping in till 8:00, I was was laying out the perfect rack on our living room floor. All I think about is climbing, so it's basically an automatic response to start fiddling with my cams while at home. After getting the gear ready I made coffee and food, and like clockwork Audrey walked down stairs. "Everything is ready to go, and I think we should go to Wa pass..?"

She agreed.

Gotta love this girl

DSCN10211.JPG

North and South Early Winters Spires

BETA: Coming from the East, we parked right after the sign that says Blue Lake TH 1/2 Mile. After gearing up we crossed the road and walked West about 200 feet until the guard rail begins again on that side of the road. From here a faint trail leads to the Blue Lake Trail. SAVING A 1/2 MILE EACH WAY.

DSCN0990.JPG

Audrey following P3 of NW Corner

It was sunny and windy like the forecast predicted, however the weather man must have forgot to mention that it would hail/snow on us right after getting on route....

DSCN09961.JPG

Audrey on P4 NW Corner

The NW Corner is a very good climb. I really enjoyed how physical the crux pitch is, especially when freezing cold from lack of sun and snow falling on us. We did the route in 4 pitches then rappelled down the west face rap line.

DSCN1002.JPG

Audrey free soloing P1 of The South Arete

DSCN1008.JPG

Audrey climbing up the Camel Humps

At this point the sun started showing itself again and we refueled and tryed to warm up. I convinced Audrey that the best way to warm up would be to just walk over and solo the South Arete. Although a little aprensive, Audrey said she was down. She has never free soloed anything befor. The South Arete is mellow and offers great movement meditation in a perfect setting.

DSCN10142.JPG

Summit #2 for the day

She did great! the solo never really warmed us up, but it was fun. Audrey has come so far in the last 2 years. I am so happy to be able to do my favorite things with my favorite person.

DSCN1016.JPG

Descending SEWS

Gear Notes:

double from .3 to #3 and one #4 was great for NW Corner

Approach Notes:

Blue Lake Trail is snow free and the climbers trail is partly snow free

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic