Conditions on OR and WA 2nd & 3rd Lappers

Dear Cascaders,

My little boy and I are heading West from Colorado during the first week of July and wanted to get people's thoughts on the Oregon and Washington 2nd and 3rd lap peaks (2nd and 3rd most prominent mountains). It seems like a very unusual winter in the Northwest and past years' trip reports might not be germane to this summer. What should we expect on:

Sacajawea

Jefferson

Adams

Baker

Any thoughts on the snow and crevasse conditions?

Thanks,

Doug and Arthur Harris

Boulder, CO

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

how little's the boy? jefferson's a pretty serious mtn. adams and baker by comparision are a good deal easier and will be fine (adam's doesn't really have cracks to care about, baker does, so knowing crevasse rescue (or practicing it there) is important)

how long do you have? wallowas are...way out of the way compared to other 3 mnts.

saca: long hike, nothing more really if coming up hurricane ck way. beautiful unique range. spend a night somewhere there. recommend going in west fk wallowa river up to ice lake. climb matterhorn then traverse ridge (mellow 3rd class at most)..to sacajawea. There is a cool hole/cave in the limestone about 1/3rd of the way from matte to saca.

jeffy: you're either going whitewater or s ridge with your son. based on some of what I've heard about whitewater already and big longitudinal cracks.. South ridge is for you. hike to coyote or shale lakes and base camp. then long bouldery day up to red saddle, technical after that depending on conditions of traverse and degree of rime (if any) on summit pinnacle.

adams: walk up..long slog. glissade down if there is any snow left to do so.

baker: haven't been, no comment. nicely fractured by july this year I'm sure.

sacajawea and matterhorn would be great time. jefferson i don't think so appropriate for young kid unless they are really something..rainier is long slog but in some respects you can turn parts of your brain off on that mountain with all the wanding and the boot path. Jefferson you will be alone and it is crappy rock and not well trodden. the height of a mnt or size of glaciers isn't the be all end all, jeffy is a scrappy mountain, no place to cut teeth or hone technique. my 2cents.

adams would be great.

Thanks for the information, water. The wallowas are on my way to Washington as we drive there. We have 9.5 days so I might have to skip Jefferson or do something easier like South Sister. I can't wait for him to be able to drive so I can get some more sleep on these long road trips.