Mt. Adams beta or conditions

edaskren

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ran up the south side on Sunday and the snow started about 2 miles in from the TH, a little bit below the crescent. Continuous from there to the top, but was very sloppy in the warm temps. A few good ski pitches though, but mostly worth it only for exercise.

Thermometer in the car read 98 at the TH in the afternoon; the snow may not stick around long at that rate.

Can't help on the Adams glacier beta, sorry.

Thanks for the info . . . your comments confirm our other research that it's likely too warm and snow too sparse to head up the Adams Glacier safely and confidently for our skill level -- crevasses, drooping or collapsing bridges and falling ice, rocks and seracs . . . thanks!

I was up South Side last weekend as well with an overnighter at Lunch Counter. While the snow was still (relatively) firm for my 4am summit push, it was baselayer warm and plenty of areas were melting away fast.

Past the initial snow line there's a couple exposed rocky sections up until around 8,000' though coming down it did look possible to stay on snow past them with a little route planning off the main path.

I climbed it yesterday and added a trip report to the database. In short, it's very climbable right now for a competent party with good crevasse navigation & rescue skills and comfort level on steep snow. We did lots of front pointing and french technique leaving only crampons prints in the hard snow and also crossed numerous snow bridges over big crevasses. If that's your skill level then go for it! I really enjoyed the route.