• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
shredmaximus

Mount Hood Meadows Expansion Update

For any of you tree hugging climbers that like the North side of Hood the way it is, there is a hearing next week and voicing your opinion will help the cause.

Anti Expansion Site

Some of the other posters comments might be confusing people. Here is the link to the evil Meadows site that I originally posted by accident: Evil Meadows Site

Unfortunately the folks at Meadows have their shit together and are mobilizing their troops. The information on this site (hearing date, Email contacts, etc.) is pertinent info, but hopefully you will use it to voice your opposition rather than support. It could be fun to take their free bus out to Hood River and then stick it to them at the hearing.

Edited to hopefully clear up some confusion..

Edited by shredmaximus

Yo shred -

That's that greenwashing site put up by Meadows.

Read the mission: "To support the expansion of recreation facility development and resort accomodations at Cooper Spur."

Meadows is making a huge effort to greenwash. Dave Riley has also been offering to pay to rent buses to get Portland ski clubs to a pulic hearing in Hood River next week.

The Real Deal.

You can find accurate information at this site.

There's a public meeting in Hood River on the 22nd on whether the County should map private and Forest Service land in and around Cooper Spur for a destination resort. I'll have details tomorrow if anyone is interested.

- Chris

hahaha! You booked a seat on the bus to Hood River to testify for them already didn't you? Say high to Dave Riley for me. Were the ice skating rink and paved bike paths your concoctions? cantfocus.gif

Maybe we should organize a pub-club/bus-ride to smash meadows at the hearings.

can you say ...... ROAD TRIP!!!

Here's a little research we've done on the website.

www.friendsofcooperspur.com is registered to North Face Inn, LLC.

Franklin Drake has told us that North Face Inn, LLC is now the company that operates both the Cooper Spur Ski Area and the Inn at Cooper Spur.

So it appears that Meadows' operating companies are holding themselves out to the public as some separate public intersts organization. What a load of crap.

If you guys are serious, I'm driving out and would gladly haul along a bunch of partying yahoos in the back of the truck.

bigdrink.gif

Next Wed. I'll post some stuff early next week.

It is pretty laughable. I grew up in HR and spent my formative years watching the whole Scenic Area process unfold, plus saw how Mt Hood Meadows would keep packing the same old wine into new bottles.

Notice how the bullet points talk about creating 200 new "permanent jobs", for example. The translation, of course, is about 195 peasant resort jobs and 5 additional jobs managing the peasants.

And how about the suggestion that building condos and roads to the condos will someday lead to the establishment of a new institute of higher learning? Please.

Show up at the hearing on the 22nd at the Hood River Inn at the east end of HR. I'll be there.

seems like people should show up with testimony and do exactly what the friendsofcooperspur site says, just in opposition.

seems like people should show up with testimony and do exactly what the friendsofcooperspur site says, just in opposition.

Exactly! Too bad the Cooperspur.org site doesn't have that info. That's why I originally posted the link to the Evil Meadows site because it had all the good info.

Cooper Spur Wild and Free Action Alert

What: Critical Hearing before the Hood River Planning Commission to determine whether to allow a destination resort at Cooper Spur or not

When: Wednesday, Jan 22, 2003 @ 7:30 PM. Folks should plan on arriving early and visit our Cooper Spur orientation Room in the Inn. Driving time from Portland varies with traffic. Plan on 1 1/2 hours.

Where: In Hood River at the Hood River Inn in the Gorge Room. To get to the Inn take the third Hood River Exit (Highway 35) and take a left as if you were going over the bridge to Washington. Just before the bridge the Inn is on the right. The Gorge room is a separate building directly in front of Registration entrance. There is plenty of parking.

How: We have the Mountain View Room and the River View Room in the Inn reserved for us from 6:00 PM to 10:00 PM. The River View Room will be a place for witnesses to oriented themselves, go over the talking points, gather material on the campaign, relax and have some refreshments before and during the Hearing. Our Cooper Spur slide show will also be shown. The Mountain View room will be a childcare room with entertainment and supervision for kids.

Importance: This is the first Public Hearing to be held about Mount Hood Meadows plan to place a 450 unit destination resort with a mega ski facility and golf course at Cooper Spur on the North Side of Mount Hood. This proposed destination resort would destroy the last wild and free areas of Mount Hood. This is the community's first chance to say loud and clear - NO. Together we can save the mountain.

rockband.gif

all right than girls ... shall we consider this a date ... I'm in and can take 4 extra bodies in my car or 5 in my truck .... should we meet maybe somewhere near the I-205/I-84 interchange ... say 5:30?

I have a class that night tha tI have to attend or I would most certainly be there. Shake a fist at Riley for me Winter.

"The Cooper Spur Mountain Resort is for the enjoyment of the public. Visitors from out-of-town as well as locals will enjoy the high quality recreational facilities. The plan includes an ice skating rink, tennis courts, paved biking and walking trails, mountain biking, swimming, cross country skiing, snowshoeing, tubing, skiing and a spa."

Thanks for the heads up. I'll be there.

“We're doing the mountain a favor by taking demand for recreation and accommodating it in areas where it's carefully managed and controlled…" -- Dave Riley, GM of Mt Hood Meadoze

............. paved biking and walking trails"

that sound really fucking beautiful ... just what I always wanted ... paved trails to help me enjoy mother N. If that was what I really wanted I'd just drive up to Paradise in July

Who is in for the PDX carpool? ..... let me know either send me a PM or post in this thread

Personally, I'd never go snowshoeing there if it weren't for the development.

I'm in for a carpool or I can drive.

Carl

Personally, I'd never go snowshoeing there if it weren't for the development.

I'm in for a carpool or I can drive.

Carl

Carl .. given the fairly serious matter of this meeting I just wish to clarify that you are an advocate for the expansion or are you just trolling ....

as far as I know everyone else who has posted in this thread is basically against the expansion