[TR] Colchuck Balanced Rock and Aasguard Pass - Leche La Vaca (CBR) and Acid Baby 5/19/2015

Verticolorful

Trip: Colchuck Balanced Rock and Aasguard Pass - Leche La Vaca (CBR) and Acid Baby

Date: 5/19/2015

Trip Report:

Good Climbs, Good Times.

Audrey and I left the trailhead around 7 am and set a nice leisurely pace. Upon arriving at Colchuck Lake, we turned left towards the climbers path starting by the dam on the North end of the lake. We arrived at the huge boulder below Colchuck Balanced Rock a little before 11. We dropped our backpacks, ate food then headed to the base of Leche La Vaca.

DSCN08762.JPG

Audrey on pitch 2 of Leche La Vaca.

We scrambled up the short chimney section of Pitch 1 and set up belay on a small ledge. I attempted to link the rest of P1 into P2 but I got held down by serious rope drag, that upgraded to a pinched rope for the follower. Oops. I finished P2 in a short pitch, ending at a chill ledge. Pitch 3 is super fun, and gives the flavor of what CBR lovingly provides (Steep splitters!). After another 5.10 pitch we got to the mellow terrain and simu-climbed to the balanced rock summit. We swung the rope up and over the boulder, so I could give Audrey a belay on the very special boulder problem, I soloed up and together we enjoyed the breathtaking views from the top.

DSCN08932.JPG

Me bouldering the balanced rock of CBR.

The clouds provided us with a 5 star sunset as we sipped cocktails made of bourbon and hot coco. The full day of movement made us happy to crawl into our sleeping bags. We woke up early and started down the old approach to CBR (the one described in Select Climbs Vol 1). Our friends Phin and Madeline met us at the lake. The ladies sun bathed and drew on sketch paper as Phin and I started up the boot track of Aasgard pass.

DSCN0915.JPG

Phin high up on Acid Baby

Acid baby is one of the finest climbs in the Stuart Range. I love how sustained it is; The entire route is 5.9 to 5.10+ and has amazing views.

DSCN09291.JPG

Exposed ridge travers of Acid Baby.

This is the year for everyone to climb THAT climb you have always wanted to. It is time to get in shape, and start reading the guidebooks.

Edited by Verticolorful

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic