[TR] Colchuck Peak - North Buttress Couloir 5/16/2015

Rodion

Trip: Colchuck Peak - North Buttress Couloir

Date: 5/16/2015

Trip Report:

I drove over to Leavenworth after work Friday and hiked in to Colchuck Lake where I set up camp around sunset. I didn't set an alarm but awoke with the rising sun the next morning. I packed and left the lake around 6 am and reached the summit just before 8:30. The route was in good condition with a single steep snow step near the beginning of the couloir and no ice to be found. The snow was mostly crust on mush and there were a few sections postholing. The couloir gets morning sun and the crust softens really quickly - if I could go back in time I would have tried to start around 5 instead of 6. I was a little worried about finding the route after crossing on to the NW face but it ended up being obvious (even without tracks). There is no need to touch rock until the last 5-10 feet before the summit and even there it is very easy 3rd class.

All in all this was an awesome route and I look forward to getting back up there sometime.

There really isn't any reason to rope up with the route's current condition but if you are planning to use a rope just know that the snow is way too soft for vertical pickets and there is no ice to put screws in.

Beginning of the traverse into the NBC.

IMG_1108.jpg

Beginning of the rising traverse onto the NW face.

IMG_0154.jpg

Midway up the NW face.

IMG_01597.jpg

Gear Notes:

I used ice tools (quarks) which made for pleasant daggering but I think you could get away with using a single traditional axe if you are comfortable with steep snow.

Edited by Rodion

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic