Teachers Strike

Peter_Puget

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Teachers now have a half-day every week to plan and a full Friday off every month as well. T

that doesn't sound too much like anything going on in my district

the elementary folks have "early release" each Wednesday, but that's i think a 2 hr release, not a whole half day.

its not like teachers want to lose the time w/ the kids either, or that they were asked- for years now the state and administration has wanted an ever increasing degree of co-ordination between teachers, and the reality is you can't achieve that w/o scheduling in a regular time for all those teachers to be off at the same time - i know i'm far from the only teacher who'd be perfectly happier to have more independence, say fuck the fucking staff meetings, and just have the time w/ my kids :)

a three-month break to let the kids go help with the harvest is such a ridiculous anachronism. I would alternatively favor kids doing some form of hard labor every summer

LOL! Like that's going to happen with today's kids.

i teach plenty of kids who work the summer (and the regular year too) - obviously kids ain't working in the wheat fields as much as the past (though indeed, they still do in some places), but there is a good argument that a high-schooler can learn a lot of things at a summer job that he ain't gonna get in school - lord knows working a variety of shitty summer jobs increased my ability to suffer assholes :)

this has come up many times over the years. teachers unions oppose it vociferously.

it's never been proposed to my union, and, depending on the details, i'm sure we could be easily on the side of such a proposal

i'm sure that there are countries w/ both teacher labor unions and longer school-years - there's no reason they're mutually exclusive

I can't read this whole thing so I'm just going to rant.

Teachers now have a half-day every week to plan and a full Friday off every month as well. Their contracted for a 180 days a year and the salary max's out at ~70k for a Master+CE. Add in job security and excellent benefits. Class size in my kids school apparently averages 21, though one of my daughters has 26 in her class.

The optics of these half days and such are that teachers just don't get a lot of sympathy from the community or at least not as much as they seem to expect. You constantly hear how teachers work long days on their "own" time, they don't seem to realize that many professionals work way more than 40 hours a week as well.

Most private sector folks work ~245 days a year. If a teacher did that their salary would roughly be $100k. 70k *(245/180). Not bad, not bad at all and certainly above the average salary of a masters in the private sector. Throw in the fact you get 10 f%$kin weeks off every summer and it's a lot of bitchin about nothing.

Wow. I don't know what planet where this is occurring. Earlier I gave my best estimate of what my spouse works as a teacher - and it's generally the same for when she was in private science work - its just that it's crammed into 10.5 months instead of 12. 10 weeks off? More like 5 in the summer and really, breaks during the year are spent playing catch up on grading (like today's "strike" day). Did someone say pension? Oh yea - that's lucrative. If she makes it to 20 years then it will be a whopping $225 a month, and don't forget to reduce your SS benefits accordingly.

Yea, it's a cush job.

Did someone say pension? Oh yea - that's lucrative. If she makes it to 20 years then it will be a whopping $225 a month, and don't forget to reduce your SS benefits accordingly.

Yea, it's a cush job.

This is total bullshit, Jim. You admitted your wife entered the teaching system after coming over from another career. Do you really expect your wife would receive a full pension for slightly more than half tenure? As you know, pensions typically follow a geometric curve that heavily favors the later years. It is safe to assume this too was part of your wife's calculus when she changed careers. Why complain about it now? Will she collect a pension from her former career? Again, if so, your complaint is even more disingenuous.

Somehow - that teachers are just cruising along and have a great pension is, well, a lie. If my spouse makes it to 20 years of teaching she'll be eligible for a whopping $17k year pension.

Did someone say pension? Oh yea - that's lucrative. If she makes it to 20 years then it will be a whopping $225 a month, and don't forget to reduce your SS benefits accordingly.

Yea, it's a cush job.

Jim, what's wrong with these two quotes? Answer? They're both yours--and one of them is a lie. Please, Jim, if you could abstain from just making shit up to defend your ideas, well, that would be great. Very poor form.

Actually, they are both true. The larger figure includes 403b contributions(self funded) the lower is the pension alone. Dude.

No one here as far as I've read, is claiming poverty - but rather responding assertions that teachers are lazy, over-paid, cushy job suckers on the public teat. But please, carry on.

Actually, they are both true. The larger figure includes 403b contributions(self funded) the lower is the pension alone. Dude.

No one here as far as I've read, is claiming poverty - but rather responding assertions that teachers are lazy, over-paid, cushy job suckers on the public teat. But please, carry on.

http://www.aflcio.org/Corporate-Watch/Paywatch-2014

Yea, it's a cush job.

This is total bullshit, Jim. You admitted your wife entered the teaching system after coming over from another career. Do you really expect your wife would receive a full pension for slightly more than half tenure? As you know, pensions typically follow a geometric curve that heavily favors the later years. It is safe to assume this too was part of your wife's calculus when she changed careers. Why complain about it now? Will she collect a pension from her former career? Again, if so, your complaint is even more disingenuous.

Dude chill.

This isn't a complaint. We're happy as larks. You set up the strawmen, we knock 'em down.

Maybe you would find more life fulfillment with a new career...............maybe teaching?

Maybe you would find more life fulfillment with a new career...............maybe teaching?

:lmao:

there's a reason conservatives ain't so common amongst teach-tards - the knee-jerk "spare the rod" mantra just don't translate well into public policy at 745 in the a.m. :)

Yea, it's a cush job.

Dude chill.

This isn't a complaint. We're happy as larks. You set up the strawmen, we knock 'em down.

I'm seeing a pattern here. 1.) Lie about wife's salary and pension. 2.) Lie about the lies. 3.) Use the words "Dude" and "chill" repeatedly to minimize the blush factor.

Actually looked into teaching a while back. It turns out that surrounding myself with 2.9 and under folks who push the play button on a VCR five or six times a day was a fantasy I just could not abide.

:lmao:

there's a reason conservatives ain't so common amongst teach-tards - the knee-jerk "spare the rod" mantra just don't translate well into public policy at 745 in the a.m. :)

................while facing young 'ins with only coffee in your system. I make the sign of the cross whenever a teacher's name is mentioned

this has come up many times over the years. teachers unions oppose it vociferously.

it's never been proposed to my union, and, depending on the details, i'm sure we could be easily on the side of such a proposal

i'm sure that there are countries w/ both teacher labor unions and longer school-years - there's no reason they're mutually exclusive

I agree. They shouldn't be mutually exclusive

don't you think a longer school year would be a hell of a lot more efficacious than standardized testing and NCLB-induced hoops to jump through?

Actually looked into teaching a while back. It turns out that surrounding myself with 2.9 and under folks who push the play button on a VCR five or six times a day was a fantasy I just could not abide.

again, i don't much understand - i'd assume you'd be a social studies type, like meself - the vast majority of such teacher's i've known were cracker-jack students, loved school for all of the disciplines (not just history/gov/etc), are highly tolerant of all political views (is that so hard?), and generally just enjoy talking about the events of the day and distant past...

Yea, it's a cush job.

Dude chill.

I'm seeing a pattern here. 1.) Lie about wife's salary and pension. 2.) Lie about the lies. 3.) Use the words "Dude" and "chill" repeatedly to minimize the blush factor.

Maybe getting chosen last in kickball all the time just soured you in general. I dunno.

The vast majority of teachers I know care about their kids and their responsibilities. Your roundhouse angry generalizations indicate a distinct lack of any experience with teachers. Volunteer for a school year and then tell us about the slackers.