Altimeter app

Matis

Hello everybody!

I'm an app developer and a few times a year I also go climb mountains.

I noticed that most apps in the App Store that measure your height aren't accurate and really don't look good.

So, my question is if anyone would be interested in such an app and if so which features it should really include.

Feel free to drop all your thoughts below!

If their is enough interest I will make an accurate altimeter app, I already searched a bit on the internet and I'm convinced that making a really accurate altimeter app, that requires no internet, is possible.

Thanks in advance,

Matis

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it measured actual atmospheric pressure. I think most of the apps just use combination of triangulation and altitude map readout. Unless you have a gauge measuring actual atmospheric pressure and translate this into an altitude readout, the second method will always be inaccurate. Hence the apps will always be a inaccurate method.

It would be nice if it worked.

All the existing alt apps are inaccurate. One of them says I'm -56 ft. at my house.

So how would you make it accurate going only off GPS?

If it worked it would be nice to have total cumulative gain, max height. And maybe a save feature that would record altitude with time. And maybe a rate feature, like ft per hr.

I only can include atmorspheric pressure for iPhone 6 and 6 plus however it is possible.

What you say about the normal method that isn't accurate at all may be accurate, however I already made a system that works with the average values of the past milliseconds and uses only the best values, apple has a function to do this. It took me a while but the app is ready and is very accurate, mostly less than 3 meters (about 10ft) accurate. I can also include the iPhone 6 barometer feature to make it even more accurate.

Tell me what you think about it.

iOS_Simulator_Screen_Shot_4-mei-2015_19_15_26.png

Matis

All the existing alt apps are inaccurate. One of them says I'm -56 ft. at my house.

I think the problem you're running into is that the phone's GPS is just telling you basically how far you are away from the WGS84 ellipsoid, and not mean sea level. In other world, it assumes the earth is more circular than it actually is.

A good GPS application will provide a way to correct these values, with OsmAnd you can download a thing called "World Altitude Corrections" which will fix the problem. Using USGS topo data like Gaia reportedly does will work too, but only in the US.

Note that using a barometric altimeter won't give you very accurate values either, unless you like the height of your mountains to be depend on the kind of weather you're getting.

Gory nerdy details here http://stackoverflow.com/a/11503937.

Edited by Alan Trick

Today, the app finaly went online. Be sure to watch it on the following link ;)

https://appsto.re/be/clDg7.i

I hope you like it. The app is already really accurate and in further upgrades I promise I will make it even more accurate.

It costs 0.99c because I worked on it a while and really believe this Altimeter is better than others. I also need to charge this 0.99c because I'm only 15 years old and need to pay 90€ a year to be allowed to make apps on the App Store. I hope you can support me ;)

Just downloaded it for my iPhone 6. Nice - simple and accurate where I'm current located. Will try it out on a nearby peak on the weekend and provide some more feedback.

Thanks for supporting me!

I really appreciate that. I hope you will enjoy the app!

If you want anything different be sure to tell it to me.

Hey Matis, I've been testing out your app for a few days now on my iPhone 6 The bug, and it's an irritating one, is that after a few moments the background picture fades to a white background making the elevation numbers very hard to read. I've tried it with the cell on and off with no apparent difference. Can't find any setting function to resolve either.

Sorry for my late response, I had it too busy with school...

Today I sent an update for review and in about 6 days the update will be online if everything goes right. This update solves the problem with the with background, makes it available for iOS 7 too and adds an Apple Watch version.

I will post again if it's online.

Matis