Go to Mt. Adams RIGHT MEOW!

Skinnable, skiable, slay-able snow is a fat-man's 30-minute hike from the trailhead. That means, probably a 1/2 mile or so. From the lunch counter and below, snow is really smooth and not too choppy. Perfect spring skiing!!!

The time for slaying this gentle giant is NOW! Unbelievable to Adams veterans, the low snow pack and trailhead-area fires have conspired to make the trailhead accessible by 2WD vehicle at least a month earlier than this fella has ever seen! I've hiked the last 7 miles of road just to get to Cold Springs at the beginning of June before!

Note: Don't go until Saturday May 9th or you won't be able to park at the trailhead due to logging at the trailhead to clear out dangerous snags. Get some!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm from NC and came out specifically to climb Adams but not sure what kind of conditions to expect. I'm prepared with both snowshoes and crampons but should I bring both in the pack? Would like to go light but don't want to be unprepared for deep snow after the Mountain-forecast.com was calling for up to 85" at the summit this week. Any words of advise or current beta?

-J

Hard to say what to expect. Sometimes the snow all gets blown off of some aspects on volcanoes, sometimes it doesn't. I don't have any experience with the standard Adams route in that regard. I would definitely bring snowshoes following the forecasted snowfall. Crampons were not necessary in the conditions we experienced, but they certainly could be if it were more firm and icy.

Probably best to bring both and be prepared for a variety of conditions. Avalanche hazard is a concern as well.

First time poster here from 14ers.com.

I'm flying into Seattle Friday (from Denver) and planning to spend just over a week trying to Ski Rainier and whatever other volcanoes may be "in". Sounds like a rough snow year...

My current plan is to first spend the weekend on Adams, skiing either the standard route or the South Chutes.

I'm wondering if it's worth the drive or if I'm better off on Rainier given the unseasonably high snow level. I certainly don't mind booting it for a few miles, but I'm wondering if Adams still has a good line "in" on that side?

Any other suggestions are VERY welcome. I'll have a rental and don't mind driving a bit.

Thanks in advance for any beta! Super stoked to get back to the PNW!

i think (weather aside--our weeks of high pressure has given way to a change in the jet stream to a more typical pattern for this time of year-with a low parked over the NW and various weaker energy systems coming through)..Adams will still be in great shape as far as skiing the chutes, and again dependent on weather getting that snow into nice corn form.

on rainier it is doubtful you can match as impressive and safe of a line as SW chutes on adams. You will have to boot maybe 2 miles~ to get to snow on adams. Rainer less but the webcams show it is melted out fully at the paradise lot.