Finding Partners

Bdubs

So I'm new to climbing, and don't really know anyone who climbs. I'm not sure how I feel about finding partners online, but I'm not really sure where else to go. The mountaineers looks alright but I don't want to take their basic climbing class (I'm taking a class through a guide instead). What should I do to find some partners?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty much all of the partners with whom I have climbed over the past 15 years I have met through this Web site. Out of many dozens of folks, I can recall only three who I would not climb with again. Those are pretty good odds.

So, put up a partner wanted ad and include a brief bio/resume and suggest a few routes that you aspire to. Respond to ads from folks who have similar objectives and experience.

My approach with new partners is to do something casual the first outing, usually just cragging, to get acquainted with each other's habits and strengths. One or two easy multi-pitch trad routes is enough to determine if the other climber is someone I can hang with.

Oh, and by all means avoid Sketchy Dan. He's trouble I hear.

Edited by DPS

• 3 months later...

My approach with new partners is to do something casual the first outing, usually just cragging, to get acquainted with each other's habits and strengths. One or two easy multi-pitch trad routes is enough to determine if the other climber is someone I can hang with.

Or J-burg. It is a nice peak I hear. :)